Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It doesn't look like the Camry side cover and I can't find any Solara specific videos on Youtube.
The sliding seat motor is stuck(i'm assuming) and i'm trying to see if i can finagle it with a screwdriver or something.

·
Registered
Toyotas.
294 Posts
Remove seat. Turn over. You will see the screws attaching it. Usually one at the front, straight up into the seat pan, and one or two at the rear, in from the side and the rear. The switch is slid into a holder, push the trim piece rearward (IIRC) and it will come off.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Remove seat. Turn over. You will see the screws attaching it. Usually one at the front, straight up into the seat pan, and one or two at the rear, in from the side and the rear. The switch is slid into a holder, push the trim piece rearward (IIRC) and it will come off.
That was my initial thought, but as birdistheword stated the seat motor is jammed. He may not be able to get to all four mount bolts. If you can't remove the seat use a mirror on the four corners of the seat bottom and see if you can remove the seat bottom cushion. It is attached with four bolts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help . it's never easy. thought i could skip a step by not having to flip the seat, but i guess i have no choice.
btw how do i slide the plastic trim off the back pad manual adjustment lever? the plastic piece surrounding the lever is too big to slide through the slot.
I don't think i'll need to remove the trim entirely so i can maybe leave it loose, i guess?

·
Registered
447 Posts
thanks for the help . it's never easy. thought i could skip a step by not having to flip the seat, but i guess i have no choice.
btw how do i slide the plastic trim off the back pad manual adjustment lever? the plastic piece surrounding the lever is too big to slide through the slot.
I don't think i'll need to remove the trim entirely so i can maybe leave it loose, i guess?
I don't think getting the trim piece off will get you what you need. The motor is mounted inside the frame and I believe the gearing is also inboard so removing the trim will only reveal the metal frame rails.The seat needs to come out. Remove the small covers off the bottom of the seat and see where you are regarding the seat mounting bolts. 17mm heads.

·
Registered
Toyotas.
294 Posts
Hmmm, the Camry uses 14mm head (10mm shank).
I have had to remove seats from junkyard cars where, for obvious reasons, I cannot move the seat. A long 14mm Gearwrench is what I use. Might want to try that. It ain't easy, but it is do-able. And one I did was allllllll the way forward (who, I mean WHO is that short???).

P.S. Oh, and that lever: check for a hidden bolt, or the lever comes off after removal of a bolt under the seat.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hmmm, the Camry uses 14mm head (10mm shank).
I have had to remove seats from junkyard cars where, for obvious reasons, I cannot move the seat. A long 14mm Gearwrench is what I use. Might want to try that. It ain't easy, but it is do-able. And one I did was allllllll the way forward (who, I mean WHO is that short???).
They should be the same. I may have misspoke. Can't believe everything you read on the interwebs!

·
2001 Camry XLE 1MZ-FE
2001 Camry XLE
1,625 Posts
It's probably not the motor, but rather the mechanism that connects to the rack. The design is bad, and it resembles a speedometer cable attached to plastic gears that get out of sync over the years. Then the seat binds in the rack, or worse the plastic gears loose a tooth.

You can't purchase any replacement parts. You have to buy the entire seat pan for $2000. Your only alternative is to get a seat from Pick-N-Pull and hope the gears aren't bad in that one too.

But first check the alignment of the seat pan in the rails. That's pretty easy to fix, and doesn't cost anything.

Good Luck.

Here's a discussion on what's involved:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, so it looks like it might be out of alignment as ajkalian mentioned. one of the arms coming of the motor looked bent.
btw, the solara power seat design looks nothing like anything i've seen on youtube. it looks especially bad compared to the Camry design. There's no brace holding the arms that come out of motor.
I also didn't have the large torx type bit holding the long metal pieces over the two tracks.

would you guys what size torx bit i would need for this?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update:
the two black bolts at the bottom were torx t-50. but i wasn't able to remove the metal pieces all the way off . it just gave me enough clearance to spray some grease on the large screw-shaped tracks. i then took a square bit and put in the access hole (on the passenger side of the seat). did a bunch of counter clockwise and clockwise turns until the entire track was greased up.

got the seat working again. not sure exactly what was wrong. i'm guessing the track got dirty or something.

thanks again for your help guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts