Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody replaced ecm for reasons other than performance. Maybe because it went bad if so why and what caused it. did it fix the problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
No answers to this post yet? I am waiting for a reply too... My '98 has the check-engine on, I get a P1600 code (ECM Battery Supply Malfunction). If I reset the error with a scanner, the check engine light will come on again. Battery terminals are clean and tight. I am about to buy an ECM from ebay, but I will hate to come with exactly the same problem (code P1600, rough idle at start).

Anybody has replaced their ECM for reasons other than performance?

·
just a nobody
6,610 Posts
ECMs don't go out very often, most of the time it is connection problem. Get a circuit diagram and check the pin tensions. Check ALL the ground connections too.

N.E.O.

·
Beware of pigs
2,420 Posts
No answers to this post yet? I am waiting for a reply too... My '98 has the check-engine on, I get a P1600 code (ECM Battery Supply Malfunction). If I reset the error with a scanner, the check engine light will come on again. Battery terminals are clean and tight. I am about to buy an ECM from ebay, but I will hate to come with exactly the same problem (code P1600, rough idle at start).

Anybody has replaced their ECM for reasons other than performance?
Do you have a 4-speed auto? If so I have that ECU for sale at $100. Better than from ebay :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the offers. Mine is a VE (3 spd auto). For me, the next step I will follow is to check the pin condition (cleaning pins with swab/alcohol? to remove dirt) and tension (don't know how yet) as new_echo_owner suggest. If this doen not work, I will just replace the unit.

·
Registered
118 Posts
A modern ECU is normally the last thing to go, but if you are sure it's the problem I have a 3 speed auto ECU if you're interested. PM me, I'll let it go for cheap.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a known good ECM that I switched out on my 97 Corolla, but got same error code with new ECM...so I do not think that is the issue....ohm the fusible link to see if good....everything I can find on this issue points to a wire harness issue....but my car runs pretty good for the most part...every once in a while it gets jerky...but just for a few seconds

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
kentk1
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing