Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting tired of the clacking noise. Have 1,000 miles on her now. Haven't done an oil change yet. I've a feeling that an oil change will silence the "pinging" of the valves, or whatever it is.

But what I most detest is the exhaust note while accelerating. The "clacking" sound.

Anyone's truck stopped making this noise over time? With the installation of headers? Dual exhaust? With a well-placed swing from a sledge hammer?

This is just poor form for Toyota. Even if there isn't anything wrong (exhause leak) it just sounds bad.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My engine stopped making the noise after I switched to a Mobil 1 oil filter instead of the Toyota filter. I was running Mobil 1 5w-30 with both filters.

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,025 Posts
Normal, will go away after you put a couple grand and change your oil. I run Syntec, now with 12K, forgot about that ticking from a year ago....

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Mine never went away :lol

31K and Mobil One synthetic. Gonna try the Mobil one filter next time.

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
lol, I've used the M1-102 since first oil change.

I honestly don't think the oil filter has THAT MUCH to do with it. Over the past 4 months I haven't seen any conclusive evidence that one particular filter will make a difference.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
I think you are right. I used the big ford napa gold filter with no positive results.

Fuk it, deal with it :lol:

·
Registered
06 taco 4x4 sport ac
114 Posts
I have a 2006 access cab trd sport. I have less than 1000 miles. I have not heard the "clacking/pinging" from the engines that many have posted. Guess I am one of the lucky ones. The engine does make a healthy sound under moderate accelleration, but its not a click.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The sound I'm referring to sounds like an exhaust leak. Anyone's truck sound like it has an exhaust leak? Mine sounds like it's coming from the exhaust manifold or somewhere in this area. I hear it when I accelerate.

I was just curious if this noise goes away with time and miles...or if maybe a new exhaust helped.

·
Badassness
2005 Tacoma
511 Posts
I get a ticking sound coming from under the hood while accelerating up hills.

·
Registered
848 Posts
One of the lucky ones. I've never had the "tick" I feel for you guys though, I know that noise would make me mental.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Fortunately mine does not have it. If changing the brand of filter is really making a difference wouldn't that indicate the stock filter is creating a restriction and starving the motor of oil? I seriously doubt that the filter is really making the difference.

Regarding hearing the ticking sound going up hills, that is detonation. Buck up and run some super unleaded.

·
Registered
http://www.dcautocen
299 Posts
Mine has almost 11,000 miles on it...running Syntec & NAPA (wix) filter...even had the exhaust manifolds replaced at 2000 miles.....STILL FREAKIN TICKS AND SOUNDS LIKE CRAP!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have a Yota rep coming to look at my truck next week. I can't take the frikkin exhaust noise. There is no reason a BRAND NEW truck should make this noise. There was a post, it might have been on TS about why this happens. The manifold takes a 90 to fast out of the block and thats why we hear that STUPID noise. It really bothers me to no end. The post also said that the V6 4 runners do it too. I don't care what they say I want the shit fixed. It sounds like a 84 chevette and I'm just the type of anal prick who will get rid of the truck because I'll never be happy untill the noise is gone.

G

·
I now have 5500 miles on my 05

Engine noise( ie; valve train )is finally gone since I swapped to a Mobil 1 M1-102 filter.:thumbup: Changing filters CAN get rid of the noise at least for some folks because others here have posted it did and it has for me. I originally thought it was just the OEM filter that was too restricitve but now I think more along the lines that it is the internal oil passage/system and that you need a really high flow filter like the M1-102, with a synthetic filter element, to stop the noise. Worked for me at least and I had the top end starved for oil noise BAD and it was EXTREMLY BAD when towing! Since the filter swap it is gone even with my boat behind the truck. I did use Mobil 1 full synthetic oil as well but had used a quality synthetic blend at 1500 with NO change in the noise and it might have even been worse. Ran a cheapo Fram filter so it really makes me think it is oil flow related.

Exhaust leak noise is still there! :thumbdown That is a different noise and the one the guy is asking about actually. Yes, it sounds just like one of the manifolds is leaking and it drives me INSANE as well. I too read somewhere that maybe it is caused by too rapid of a turn in the manifold, coupled with too thin of a wall on the manifold, thus it amplifies the exhust noise and makes it sound like a leak. I totally agree that a new truck should not do this and this crap these days from new car mfg's about it being "normal operating noise" is BS. Same thing with the infamous HEMI Tick( like the valve train noise on the Tacoma ).

Oil starved rapping and exhaust leak noise is not NORMAL!

·
Life is good
05 Taco
105 Posts
I know when I see the Rep next week he will say it's totally normal. And more than likely I'll reply, well thats totally gay on a truck thats almost $ 30,000. Then my only other option will be to get some headers for the truck.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm with you guys...this exhaust leak noise is driving me nuts, too. I'm pretty pissed about it. Russ, please keep us posted on what the Toyota rep says about this problem. Also, if you do put headers on, let us know if it helps. At this point, I'm willing to consider all options to get rid of this damn noise.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts