Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Triple A Whore
Z06, Camry, Tucson
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about another car this year. I love the reliability of my 94' V6 XLE. Bought her with 75K on the od. and she has a little over 156K today. Hasn't failed me in any way, shape or form.

Funds might be limited due to me wanting to rebuild a motor in the Vette'.

I see some Camry's that have 90K-110K on the clock. Has anyone bought a car with that high mileage? I know these things are super reliable but I'd like to hear some stories.

·
There is no substitute.
8,031 Posts
Don't forget, reliability of a car can vary depending on the care of the owner.

Some people don't give a crap about their car, and maybe wait twice as long to change oil. That alone put reliability of any car closer to zero.

I would get a Camry from a mature owner that swears by the dealership and did all oil change at regular intervals.

·
Pondering the choices
112 Posts
well

i purchased my camry which is a 96 and it had 96,600 miles on it.....its has close to 10k more now and still feels just as sweet....i got it from an auction and the car seemed to be in great shape other than rust which is very common on shit since it came from massachusetts...i had to patch a small hole in the exhaust and that was it other than this cable bushing that getting fixed for the drive down to florida and then im getting the brass speed options ones....i got it for 3500 and so far has been the best car ive had...but previous owners is a big thing on used cars....make sure it was taken care of...i have a 5sfe 4cyl engine and 5spd tranny

·
Rotor > Piston
91 Camry, 90 RX7
411 Posts
i bought my car 2 years ago at 171k and i'm sure the owner didnt' do an amazing job at keeping up with oil and repairs. car is still running top notch, just a massive oil leak somewhere that i need to fix ;).

·
A Poor College Student
1994 Camry Sedan LE
354 Posts
My baby's 2 years old, bought with about 108,000 on it. Got 1247XX on it now, no major problems *knock on wood*. Planning on changing the struts in a month or so, been a very reliable and good car too me! :thumbup:

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,979 Posts
I just bought my '93 Cam a few months ago with 165K. So far I have no problems with it at all. I just try to mentain it as best as i could since mentainance is cheaper than replacement or repair.

·
Registered
Celica
303 Posts
It all depends

I agree with Ekam, it all depends on how the owner has taken care of it. BUT, some cars maybe prone for specific issues and problems. My 93 Camry V6 Sport was purchased new and has 190,000km on it, and just spent a major $ 3500 on a new tranny last week. Another friend of mine also had a Camry but a 92 Sport V6 also and his tranny went. Well, this proves nothing about babying the car, I've babied this car just like my 85 Celica and had no such issues like the Camry. (air conditioning leak, wiper linkage siezed, squeaky rear suspension bushings, front end leaking CV boots) These problems are unheard of in my Celica which currently has 250,000 km on it. I'm pretty anal about maintenace also, I change oils every 5,000km with synthetic, timing belt replaced twice already. My dealer was suprised to hear about the tranny noise. The service records show me changing the tranny fluild at regular intervals (every 2 years). Rad fluids every 2 years also. So I don't know what more about babying the car I can do to have avoided some major problems. So be aware and do your homework. Otherwise the Camry is a great car.

·
Not so Noob now!
557 Posts
All the Camrys I've purchased have been high milage. The first one, an 88 LE, had 120k on the clock when I bought it. It broke a timing belt at 170K and I replaced a few mufflers. Then it was rear-ended at 220K I bought it back from the insurance company for $500.

Drove it untill timing belt #2 broke at 250K at which point I gave it to my sister and her husband who bought a P.O.S. Ford Taurus that broke down less than a week after they bought it. They got the Camry over 300K before they sold it to some college kid for $1200. (I don't know if I would have paid that much for a car with over 300,000 miles, but I hear it's still on the road)

So yeah, I feel fairly comfy with high milage Camrys.

On a side note I did have to replace the engine on our 87 LE at 234K, the engine developed a really bad knock and it was cheaper to buy one of the low milage engines for $500 that come with a 1 year unlimited milage warranty than having the one in the car rebuilt.

·
Ford Powered
1999 Ford Mustang
439 Posts
rite. like me for example...

we're the second owner of the car when it was practically brand new, but since we kept good care of the engine, we've never had anything mechanical to fix. however, since the roads aren't so great around us, we've had a lot of suspension work here and there done.

185k miles and never any engine problems.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Hard to beat a Camry, seems to hold miles pretty well. Weak tran on my Gen 3, but that had to do with previous owner probably.

It's styling has always been conservative but newish, so that seems to give it extra value on top of reliability. I will be dropping a newer tran in as soon as I can muster the money. Gen 3 really do have suckass trans.

·
Diablo
05 Altima SER+93 Cam
353 Posts
I bought a 93 back in January with 215,000 miles on teh clock and today at 226k miles I've only had to replace all 4 struts. I did this because the caar bounced around a lot, but mechanically, the car is perfect and I love it !!

·
Triple A Whore
Z06, Camry, Tucson
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the stories. I was specifically looking at the 96' and newer V6 Camry's. How are those? I want the 96' and newer because it's totally OBDII compliant. Unlike my 94', which is OBDII but doesn't have an OBDII plug.:(

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Camry's apparently have transmission issues...

Bought my 91 with 117,000 miles on it about 2 years ago. Now she has 137,000. Car still runs strong, never any problems with the engine, but the TRANSMISSION did go out last year, and i know several people who have had the same problem.

i wouldnt have any problem buying one with 100K+ but dont be too surprised if the tranny starts to go.

·
Crossdrilled and Slotted
90 Posts
92 Camry V6 Auto - 150k on the clock (bought it 136). Runs like a champ (im having problems with the distributor shorting out when it rains, but thats because I opted for cheap wires last time. Lesson learned).

My moms 94 Camry Sedan has 200k on the clock and has no problems (auto as well).

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just bought the 95 Camry in my sig that has 150,000 miles on it. For me it was not worth it, now I have to get another car cause this one is a lemon and undrivable for long distances. I love toyotas and their engines can go for 100s of thousands of miles, mine was obviously not cared for though. I'd try to get one next time with under 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I bought my 98 le auto at 170k, and it has 176k right now. I havent fixed anything, and everything inside works perfectly. Ive only upgraded audio, and visual stuff in the car. I sold my 89 camry at 139k miles and it was still running strong. I dont think it will be bad to buy a high milage one, just check out the engine and drive it around a few times?

Omar

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought my gen 3 5sfe from a guy that had owned it since it was new, i got it at 165k miles, and i am currently nearing 200k. I've replaced the timing belt twice, the distributor cap & rotor, front break pads and rotors, and a few other things. But the important un-replaceable parts ie. the engine....have been running strong...

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Edmond said:
[B
I see some Camry's that have 90K-110K on the clock. Has anyone bought a car with that high mileage? I know these things are super reliable but I'd like to hear some stories. [/B]
Like Ekam said, it's all about the owner. I baught mine at 177k Miles. And it's now at 197K miles. But it had been all highway miles and my uncle had babied it before hand. So I knew it was in good condition. And it hasn't given out on my yet.

Go for it. 110k is nothing if it has been taken care of.

·
Triple A Whore
Z06, Camry, Tucson
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What if the previous owner cannot provide the documentation but claims that the vehicle was taken care of? I'm saying that because I do my own work and couldn't provide fluid change documentation but I know that it was taken care of.

Would buying from an older driver most likely be better taken care of?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts