Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Toyota 4x4
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been talking myself out of this idea since I got the truck, but something in my "lower-nature" wants to "find out some info, just in case". <I hope I dont manage to justify this to myself> But just wondering if anyone had used some of the kits out there, or if anyone had used an old 4runner front suspension for the install and all that good stuff.

Please tell me it is more work than it is worth and that I don't need to do it.

But give me some insight too.....

Dammit! The inner struggle!!!!!

David

·
Pipe Welder
Toyota Truck
127 Posts
I'm considering it. Im gonna go w/ the marlin crawler kit, I'm gonna go ahead and atach the spring hanger brackets within the next few weeks and buy everything as money becomes available. Im only gonna run a 2 inch lift on the front and whatever it takes to level it on the rear. My truck rides fairly rough now so I don't see ant bad ride changes in the future.

·
Registered
1994 Toyota 4x4
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you have a suspension lift on your truck now? what kind?

·
Hardrock
19 Posts
I considered it on my 94 but have decided since to not go for it as yet. There are still things I'm going to do like lock up the front and get longer shocks to improve my wheeling. I don't do anything that NEEDS a solid front axle. And you should ask yourself the same question. How often do you find yourself where you absoulutely NEED it. I did that and found out it wasn't that often and just decided to wheel the IFS for now. If I get into much more hardcore rockcrawling then I can justify it. Take a good look and price out the what nots as well.

·
Offical Truck Nut
1990 Toyota
428 Posts
straight axle swap

I seen a 87 swaped at a junk yard , it looked really well no rigging required as for newer models I don't know.

·
Registered
94 toyota pickup
2 Posts
straight axle swapo

I am definatly considering doing a straight axle swap on my 94 toy. unless ur into high speed racing off road or still want really good handling on roads stay with the ifs's but for rockcrawling and just general trail 4x4ing straight axles are way better for stability and they give and unbelievable amount of articulation compared to the IFS's.
But unless u can find a really good deal its going to cost quite few pennies no matter what way u go, or u will have to make some changes to hanger brakets and such.
I think there the way to go but if ur not going to do n e thing to seriouse u probably wont need them

·
Registered
1995 Toyota 4x4
6 Posts
I have a early 95 toyota pickup (same model as 89-94) and i have done a solid axle on my truck. Its the best thing i could have ever done. Its bouncier on the roads but the handling isn't all that much different. As for when your offroad it makes a world of difference. I did the soild axle swap and lockers front and rear all at the same time with new gears and it ran me about $6000. Thats including the 85 Solid axle and rebuilding it with new seals and such. I got the solid axle kit off of www.allprooffroad.com it was not too hard to do it took me and my buddie 2 12 hour days to get it all done. So in my opinion i think that if you ever take your truck offroad get the swap done. dont waist your money on IFS lifts.

Matt... :whatwhat:

·
One with the farce
3,147 Posts
I'm doing a '90 now; cost to date including buying the truck: 3200 canadian pesos. The reason I'm doing the swap is because IFS doesn't work well where I go.

Pros: Flexibility, lift, strength, and you can do it all yourself (save $$$).

Cons: Cost of labour, if you can't DIY; outright cost of a kit plus the axle itself, bigger tires because stock looks goofy on a tall truck, and regearing to accomodate the bigger tires.

·
Official Saipan Member
Hilux
1,019 Posts
I wanted to do SAS for the longest time till i came across this guy who rock crawls with stock IFS, 1 inch body lift and 33" tires. then i read about the Total Chaos Fab. long travel IFS kits and now i dream about that then SAS. Sas is kool for monster lift and flexing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts