Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondering if anyone does their own oil changes and why. Any tips?
If you have your dealer do them what are you paying?

HIGHLANDER owners only please.

·
Registered
124 Posts
toobroke said:
Just wondering if anyone does their own oil changes and why. Any tips?
If you have your dealer do them what are you paying?

Yep.....
Cause I know it will be done right.....
If you need tips on how to change your oil.....please bring it to a shop :)
Only way I would bring anything into the dealer is for warranty work.

One tip if you have if you have a 3.3l.....I get to the oil filter from the top of the motor right underneath the exhaust manifold. I do it in the mornings when it is cold cause that manifold is HOT!!! lol

Good luck

·
Registered
484 Posts
I use a cup wrench and a 3" extension on a ratchet for the filter ona 4cylinder. Works like a charm. Six point combo wrench for the drain plug. No rounded corners! Plenty of access without the need for ramps or jack stands. Easy job.
Check the filter after you remove it and make the sure the old gasket is there and not on the engine!
Use good oil in the correct weight and feel good that the job is right!

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
done it twice. Nice not having to put the vehicle on ramps or jack it up. its a pain to take off the lower trim from the bumper and frame to get to filter but oh well. Only tip is to cover the area you're working in with news paper/cardboard or whatever, unless you dont care if some oil splatters around.

Its very straight forward. Just dont burn yourself when changing oil filters.

I know i like to change my own oil because i let it drain for 30+ minutes till theres really nothing coming out. That ensures that there is little dirty oil left to contaminate the new oil. =)

·
2007 Highlander Sport
Highlander
108 Posts
I haven't done my oil change yet, since my HL still has less than 1K miles. But I always do all my oil changes on all my cars and I will be doing my HL soon. I like to do it myself because I can take my time, makesure it's done properly and I can let all the oil drain out until I get no more drops and while waiting for the oil to drain you can have a couple of beers and watch a ball game on TV.:D

Tips, well just remember to also replace the oil drain plug gasket.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Olander said:
I haven't done my oil change yet, since my HL still has less than 1K miles. But I always do all my oil changes on all my cars and I will be doing my HL soon. I like to do it myself because I can take my time, makesure it's done properly and I can let all the oil drain out until I get no more drops and while waiting for the oil to drain you can have a couple of beers and watch a ball game on TV.:D

Tips, well just remember to also replace the oil drain plug gasket.

See now there's a tip! Have a couple of beers while you do this! LOL.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I believe in changing out the manufacturers oil at about 1k. Then 3-5k after that depending on how the UOA looks and whether I'm using dino or syn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts