Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the water pump replaced at 20k miles and now I have about 40k on my S and Im getting the same screeching sound when I start the car. I think Im going to have pump number 2 replaced very soon :headbang:. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,782 Posts
I had the water pump replaced at 20k miles and now I have about 40k on my S and Im getting the same screeching sound when I start the car. I think Im going to have pump number 2 replaced very soon :headbang:. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this?
Nothing for me & I hope I don't have the same issue. ;) I'm at 19k miles on my S.

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
my friends rolla is past that at 21K and I think rollared is way past 20k and didnt replace the pump as far as I know. Maybe its the belt noise that some people have

·
Registered
83 Posts
Can you check this tension yourself....or do you need a tool that reads it ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first time it happened I assumed it was a loose belt making the noise, once I finnaly took the car in, dealer said it was the water pump.

I could see a the belt being too tight from the factory cuasing the failure but I would expect the dealer to check that after they replaced the first one. Who knows, I cant think of a better explanation for two bad water pumps...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone have a guess as to how much tension we should have on the belt? I think Ive heard +/- 1inch for every 1ft of belt in between pulleys

·
It needsa muffler bearing
BlkSnd 10 Corolla S
567 Posts
Toyota's super long life coolant(pink) sucks. Ask to switch to the red coolant if they didn't if you are having it replaced again. I suspect this is the reasoning behind the many faulty waterpumps from Toyota. The pumps are all designed similar. It just seems when they switched coolants they go on most cars.

·
rieds
2010 Corolla S
305 Posts
i dont think the belt tension is adjustable is it? i thought it's tentioned by a spring loaded pulley. somebody correct me if im wrong here.

·
The random one
2010 Corolla CE
523 Posts
i dont think the belt tension is adjustable is it? i thought it's tentioned by a spring loaded pulley. somebody correct me if im wrong here.
2.4 L XRS has an idler pulley (auto tension)
1.8L base, ce, le, xle, s hase manual adjustment by the alternator

for the 1.8 L you can adjust your belt by loosening the two bold holding the alternator and tightening the adjusting bolt on top. Its easily accessible when you pull the engine cover off. If you don't know what too tight or not enough tight is get it done by a qualified Toyota technician.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Does anybody have the specs on this belt tension ? What is used to measure this ? Can I/we get a instrument to measure it ourselves ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do you know that there is a TSB that may cover this?

SB0362-09R1.....12/04/2009 Cooling System - Coolant Leak/Noise From Water Pump
Introduction
Some 2009 - 2010 model year Corolla and Matrix vehicles may exhibit a small coolant leak and/or abnormal noise from the engine compartment originating at the water pump assembly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wife came home in her 2009 S the other day and the garage stunk of coolant. I opened up the hood and there was dried pink coolant splatter all over the inside of the hood on the serpentine belt side. Coolant reservoir was almost empty. Caught it just in time. Pump was replaced under warranty. Car has 54k. The pully on the new pump is shaped completely differently. I hope it lasts but it doesn't look like a very hard job to do yourself, pretty decent access to the bolts.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Wife came home in her 2009 S the other day and the garage stunk of coolant. I opened up the hood and there was dried pink coolant splatter all over the inside of the hood on the serpentine belt side. Coolant reservoir was almost empty. Caught it just in time. Pump was replaced under warranty. Car has 54k. The pully on the new pump is shaped completely differently. I hope it lasts but it doesn't look like a very hard job to do yourself, pretty decent access to the bolts.
Bad water pumps are way too common. Same thing happened to my '07 Camry. Easy to spot before it becomes a problem - just look for the pink residue under the pump and the splatter under the hood, and a drop in coolant level in the overflow tank. Mine happened slowly - I first noticed started to notice it about 2 months before it was replaced.

Bottom line - check your coolant and oil every other week.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My water pump also had a slow leak, around 40,000km. Had splatter on the inside of the hood and on the belts, like 92gli said. Dealer replaced it under warranty, a few thousand km later, so far so good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My water pump on the 09 got replaced last week when I went for an oil change. They told me it was leakign and it was replaced for free under the 5 year 60,000 powertrain warranty.

I thought waterpumps last longer than 4 years.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,782 Posts
My water pump on the 09 got replaced last week when I went for an oil change. They told me it was leakign and it was replaced for free under the 5 year 60,000 powertrain warranty.

I thought waterpumps last longer than 4 years.
It's a pump, most will but there will always be a small number that fail anyway, no part is 100% perfect.

·
Registered
09 Corolla S
70 Posts
Water pump on my 09 Corolla S went out at 63k. They washed my engine do to all the coolant and killed my alternator within a month. They said that did not cause the alternator to fail.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts