Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if anyone else has excessive valve noise when under loads specifically climbing up a hill slowly. ive brought this to toyotas attention and they say its a normal thing. but then again your wheel could be off your truck rolling down the highway and thats normal to them. any help would be great. thanks.

chris

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
just wondering if anyone else has excessive valve noise when under loads specifically climbing up a hill slowly. ive brought this to toyotas attention and they say its a normal thing. but then again your wheel could be off your truck rolling down the highway and thats normal to them. any help would be great. thanks.

chris
run some 93 if you going to tow heavy while climbing. There should not be too much noise. Dont forget the motor is Working harder... allot harder.

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts

chris
First Toyota I take it :confused: It will make more noise when the motor is under stress = towing. I tow all the time and don't notice anything. Toyota has always had a bit more valve noise than others...it is normal. If you want it to be smoother and not as loud run full synthetic.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I've noticed it too, i've had to change my route (thanks to a bridge closing) and one of the streets has a big hill on it that you hit at speed. I notice a little more valve noise, but honestly I can attribute some of what you are hearing to the exhaust manifold tick. Its not bad, and is pretty much non-existant once the motor warms up, but it is there somewhat.

I know its not what you want to hear, but this isn't out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Its not valve noise its pinging, I would suggest taking someone from the dealer for a ride to decide if its "normal" or excessive

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
Its not valve noise its pinging, I would suggest taking someone from the dealer for a ride to decide if its "normal" or excessive
Pinging? Why take it to the dealer when they are more than likely gonna tell you it is normal!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the answers guys. its actually not when i tow its just under a load from say a hill in general but i will take all of the answers into consideration and try the suggestions out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts