Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning it was colder then ever before, about 6 degrees F with a windchill to about -15 degrees F. Got in the truck this morning to go to class and took off and about 2 minutes later I was doing 45 to 50mph down the road. I noticed the truck didn't shift into 5th and was staying in 4th, then a couple miles down the road once the engine was about half warmed up the transmission finally shifted from 4th to 5th.

I don't know if this is normal or not but I would like to think it's the intelligent transmission noticing it's wicked cold and helping my engine warm up faster by letting the RPM's stay high. I really hope it's not a busted transmission although I doubt it would be as the trans shifted normally once it was warmed up.

·
Registered
2006 Silver Dbl Cab
647 Posts
It is normal. Mine does it even down here and it doesn't get nearly that cold. I believe it just helps the truck warm up by keeping the RPMs up for a little bit. Kind of like a choke function for current engines.

·
Registered
06 Tacoma Access SR5
462 Posts
This is not specific to the tacoma. I've had many vehicles do this.

·
Registered
'06 Prerunner TRD
1,093 Posts
I just put mine in whatever gear I want... HAHAHA My first car ever (and only auto) did the same thing- freaked me out... but it's normal

·
Official Baller
'07 Tacoma PreRunner
2,960 Posts
Totally normal. Most vehicles do this.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I was playing with my scangauge waiting for my wife to take our daughter in for day care. I switched one of the gauges over to water temp and noticed the RPMs drop about 100 once the water temp went from ~150 to ~160. I would assume something similar would happen on the auto tranny.

·
Registered
165 Posts
this is normal.

there is a temp sensor that doesn't allow the trans to shift into overdrive gear until the thermostat opens.

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, thanks guys...my old '98 Explorer didn't do this so it felt weird to me. Good to know it's normal, I like it too it's a good idea and that combined with my LUND Winter Grill makes the engine warm up nice a quick :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
the tranning wont shift into OD no matter what the engine temp is if the trans temp isnt high enough. nothing to do with engine temp, all trans fluid temp, its protecting its self from shifting in to a higher gear when the fluid isnt at proper operating temp..........

·
Registered
14 Posts
prolly the viscosity of the trans fluid preventing the shift. Lower temp = higher viscosity. I'm with pointerDixie tho...manual here.

·
Precision driver
2,105 Posts
Which brings me to my next point (again) kids, drive a manual tranny:clap:

My dad's V8 4Runner does it also. I think all new vehicles do it (like everyone above stated).

·
Registered
123 Posts
i think every electrically shifted tranny that isnt the first made does it, the older electric shifted trannys didnt do this, but damn near all electric transmissions do this, most of the time you wont notice unless you start it in the morning and jump straight on the highway. most of the time 1 mile will get it at operating temp, but with the tranny cooler im not sure......

·
2007 DC Indigo Ink 2WD
07 DC Taco SP#1
178 Posts
I want to bring this topic back up. I just moved from warmer weather to a place that snows. My truck is from the Southeast and has the tow package. The other day i was driving at it was about 40*F and after driving on the highway for an hr i stopped at a red light. Well when the light turned green i hit the gas and my truck redlined. My truck NEVER redlines. And i bring this up because my truck shifts bad sometimes when it's cold out. But it shouldn't shift bad after driving on a highway for an hr. It was shifting bad enough that it got me worried. If it keeps up i am bringing it into the dealer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts