·
WALKING AND TRAVELING SUX
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
Toyota Camry
1,820 Posts
The fast shifting mod works. You can control if you want really easy comfortable shifts or really hard shifts. But don't get it shifting too hard otherwise when you put your car in gear from park it will rock your engine.

Man you have been posting like 4-5 threads a day. :kingme:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Threads like this make me want to learn more about automatic trannys. lol. I've never driven one more than like 50 feet, so they're really a mystery to me :(

As for faster shifting ... slam the gears. I dunno. :D

·
1999 Camry V6 Auto
57 Posts
I actually gave toysrme's method a try today. I did it on my 1999 model camry 1mz-fe. I did it all the way to the rubber stopper and chacked to see if it restricted Wide Open Throttle. It didn't, so I gave it a test run. I only noticed it shifting just a TINY bit faster. Barely noticable really. Changing into drive or reverse feels no different though.

I wouldn't try the other guy's method though. That seems too risky for me.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
I also tried toy's method, and it worked very well for me, i noticed alot quicker shifting and improved acceleration.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
I looked at that by request. In all honesty I can't make nose or rectum on where that pic was taken, or what that was.
Possibly an accumulator valve, but I didn't see anything of that sorts in the a140e repair manual I flipped through.

Somebody take a picture of their i4 transmission case, and drop the pan & snap a pic of the bottom of the valvebody. If you're able, drop the valve body & check the top of it also. Or get that guy on MS to give up more details on the location.

You can also drop the valve body & do it properly by changing all of the shift springs individually & some of the accumulator valve springs. That's what I did, but take a heavy warning... Have alot of springs of varrying compression & length IN HAND. and have enough transmission fluid to do a DRY FILL 2 or 3 times in a row. You're not likely to get the spring combo's right. Took me 3-4 valve body drops & mine are still not 100% what I'm shooting for.
You're not going to damage the transmission... But you can really fuck up the gear changes, gear selection, holding capacity (which would actually damage the transmission if you were letting it slip). All of that stuff.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
would you recommend the TT one over your way for the less skillful average tuner toys?

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
The cable is an adjustment. It quickens the shift, and when the shift happens & vice versa.
Changing the springs affects a multitude of things. If you're capible of dropping the pan (Nothing more than keeping track of alot of smaller 10mm & 8mm bolts really.) Go for it.

What I'm saying is that I can't identify where, or what that is.

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
It probably is an accumulator valve, in order to get a picture like that it would have to be either the top or front of the transmission, I doubt there is enough room to get a good shot on the firewall side. Not that it helps any

edit: i take that back, that could be anywhere lol, I wonder what that hardline in the back of the picture is.

·
Registered
Toyota Camry
1,820 Posts
Eyebrows7 said:
I actually gave toysrme's method a try today. I did it on my 1999 model camry 1mz-fe. I did it all the way to the rubber stopper and chacked to see if it restricted Wide Open Throttle. It didn't, so I gave it a test run. I only noticed it shifting just a TINY bit faster. Barely noticable really. Changing into drive or reverse feels no different though.

I wouldn't try the other guy's method though. That seems too risky for me.
Hmmm, maybe there's a difference between generations because it affects my cars shifting dramatically.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts