Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got in to an accident last week....minor I assume since there was no frame damage just cosmestics...fender, hood, bumper....so was goin replace them and paint them....I got quote for painting the 3 pieces and they weren't pretty prices....so I since I got an air compressor at home...I ordered to good quality spray guns...and found a local shop that sells paint and primer and clearcoat...it wasn't expensive to get those...now whats the tips of the trade in painting....im a mechanic....but when it comes to body work and painting...Im clueless....any knowledge would be greatly apprecaited....

Thanks, Kevin

·
Pimpin' In Paradise.
2000 Toyota Camry
339 Posts
Yeah guys, I really would like to know about this also. The paint on my spoiler is bubbling (never buy prepainted stuff off ebay), and I've been getting ridiculous prices to have it repainted. 300 dollars!!! and I don't think it's being painted with the blood of 30 virgins either, so please, I would love to be able to do this myself if it's not too hard to do.

3,032 Posts
I would like to know how to do this too... this would be good for a sticky.
I plan to change gold to something more unique on my TC sometime in the near future.

Also, if there are recommendations on
Paints
Spray guns
Sanders
Sand Paper
(brand names also)

That would help a bunch.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i always just use the "rattle-can" touch up paint... i've never used a spray gun b4, would be nice to have tho :(

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
well i painted cars before but its not A+++ stuff but tis like a good job ...i always get abit of dust on it but its a overall good job

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
Yes! Perfect sticky material! Especially since no one knows how yet! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
764 Posts
if you want a detailed description oof the task at hand, send me a pm, im a body man

·
The terrorist
1990 Corolla SR5
3,058 Posts
Well I've painted my car a couple of times..

Single strokes (meaning don't stop half-way down a panel)
Maintain the same angle on your hand while painting
Stay at a fair distance
several light coats are better than 1 heavy coat
make sure you mask all the parts you don't want painted (Please do your muffler to, I hate seeing painted mufflers)
You need a heat source and a clean closed room to help the paint dry faster and prevent it from collecting dust and other particles.
The car will look bad after applying the final coat, but let it dry and don't touch it. It'll be fine once it's dry

Can't think of anything else right now. This is more like a coffee conversation rather than a question on a board..

Ask away if you have any questions...

3,032 Posts
How about sanding, since that is first step to painting. I was also told NEVER to sand down past the factory PRIMER. What kind of sand paper is safe to use? How far should I sand down? I was also told that it should ALL be done by hand, without a sander. true?

·
Grenaded piston
6,580 Posts
^ Use 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper.

Your going to be wet sanding. Use a water hose to wet the area your going to be sanding, but keep the hose running over the area your sanding.

The idea is not to remove the paint, just scuff it up.

·
Registered
764 Posts
you only sand down until the gloss of teh paint is gone.once its mate, clean the surface with a grease/wax remover.wear surgeons gloves if possible, avoid touching the car.400 grit is the right stuff.you can use a sander but use a good professional one. i use a snap-on orbital sander.oh yeah, buy a filter that you must put between the compressor and the paint gun hose because otherwise you<ll end up with oil, water and dirt on the surface wich is gonna cause fisheyes to pop up.for the clearcoat, its ok if the first coat is not mirror like, its supposed to be this way. go easy on the first coat, wait 15 minutes, then when you do your second coat you can put a bit more. orange peel is better than clearcoat dripping everywhere so watch out. btw, clearcoat is sprayed slower than basecoat. you dont want your basecoat to be wet, because teh metallicf lakes in teh paint wont deposit in a nice way, they wont reflect light as much.if you have other questions just ask

1 - 13 of 13 Posts