Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I got my camry from toyota of SB. I first want to say they are very competitive and if you need a car call Marcus Alonzo in fleet. Anyways, they have a money maker 'engine immobilizer' that you can purchase on the car. How it works....you pull on the high beams, and it allows the engine to crank when key is turned. I passed on it, did not even ask what it cost. However I looked in the engine bay and noticed they cut the starter solenoid wire and then ran it to a spot where they also had a splice on to the high beam wire. So in essence, i think these guys literally attach a relay to the car such that simply pulling on the high beam to flash powers the relay completing the circuit for the starter. Anyone notice this ?? anyone throw on a relay there to mimic their "immobilizer" cost $2.....the wiring is easy I think...since i passed, they stuck a little tab that essentially recompletes the loop to the starter...

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Yeah, they offered something like that to me. The price was over $650 or there abouts. The finance guy was really pushy about it but I declined anyway.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
Most engine immobilizers, unless they are chipped keys, are pretty much worthless these days. Car thieves can EASILY get passed them. Many car theives even know how to get passed the chipped keys. Hell, in big cities (like LA County), even alarms are basically useless... can you even remember the last time that a car alarm has attracted your attention? You pretty much ignore it, right? People seem to forget that if a theif REALLY wants your car, he's gonna get it. You made the smart choice by passing on the high beam thing.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a funny fact....you pull that stupid little plug that recompletes the starter wire....your car will not start PERIOD.....you can use this for extended parking in some place you dont trust...pretty ghetto to open your hood and pull out a plug LOL I figured the relay connections if anyone cares...

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Their "immobilizer" essentially allows engine turnower only when you turn on highbeams, even by just pulling to "flash the highbeams" while turning the key, probably does not apply to push button cars as they probably dont want to interfere with its circuitry....if you had it you would have to hit the brakes, flash and hold high beams, and then hit start....understand ?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hell yes, LOL, I can easily see my dad or mom forking out 600 bucks for a $2 relay that they remove if you dont want it ...LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts