Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
So i went home to visit my mom for the first time in like 2 years. haven't had a reliable car till just recently when i bought my 2011 Camry LE.

My mom is a Tacoma NUT. She lives on TacomaWorld boards. TacomaWorld did a group buy on an ULTRAGAUGE. Well it came in and my mom decided she didn't want it, she was going to stick with her ScanGaugeII so she gave me her UltraGauge.

http://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

I installed it today before i drove back home. That thing is cool. It tells you all kinds of stuff about your engine, gas mileage, and about 75 other different things. It will also read and tell you trouble codes, and reset them.

it just plugs into the OBDII slot and you have to tell it just a few items and it's set to go!!!

Anyone else have some type of a scangauge or ultragauge?

·
2011 Camry SE
2011 Camry SE
39 Posts
I use scanguage II in my vehicles. I love it! Right now it's in my Trans Am but I have had it in My GEN 6, Trans Am, and Z71 Pickup. It works for all of them.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have a scangaugeII also. The ultra gauge looks good, specially at that price I was considering getting one for my Camry. I leave the scangauge in my accord. Since that's the car we use most anyway. I love the scangaugeII , I cant say anything about ultra gauge since ive never used the product. Im sure it does the same things since it plugs right into the ecu just like the scangauge.

·
Registered
09 Camry
552 Posts
I have a scangaugeII also. The ultra gauge looks good, specially at that price I was considering getting one for my Camry. I leave the scangauge in my accord. Since that's the car we use most anyway. I love the scangaugeII , I cant say anything about ultra gauge since ive never used the product. Im sure it does the same things since it plugs right into the ecu just like the scangauge.
hey can the scangauge or ultragauge program new tpms serial numbers into the car?

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Ultragauge

True, these Gauges only read your car computer data and display it. they are not for programming anything new, or changing anything. You can tell by the price. The computers for programming that stuff are very expensive. These devices are relatively cheap.

:( it would be nice to be able to program stuff with them though huh? lol :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Pictures

So anyways. Here are pictures of the UltraGauge in my car.

View from Drivers location

I wrapped the wire around the mount to give me alittle extra wire exposed so that i can remove the gauge from the mount to change the settings if i want to.

The 2 different mounts made to fit w/ each other.

This mount was actually made for a GPS unit but i sanded the ball down a little bit to fit in the mount. there are 2 different mounts here.

The clip w/ ball (for rotation) that actually holds the UltraGauge
and the mount that attaches to the a/c vent w/ ball receptor.

but the ball was too big for the receptor so i sanded it down to make it fit.

How i have temporarily run the wire down the side of the dash and behind the little rubber piece.

Sorry for the blurry pics but just an idea of the 3 different screens you can have set up.

I revvvvved the engine up a little so you can compare the UltraGauge with the Tacho.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
I wouldn't leave that or the mount in the car if I were you. It looks way to much like a GPS navigation system -- very attractive for smash and grab.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My scangauge in my 2002 Accord. I havent tried it on the camry yet. Since we put all the miles on the accord and the camry barely gets driven. Here is where i mounted it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Amazon $20 off ScanGauge 3-in-1

Greetings all. Got an e-mail from Amazon the other day about this deal. Please note I'm not sure how long it's good for.

Amazon's E-mail said:
As someone who has shown an interest in automotive parts and accessories at Amazon.com, you might like to know about our special coupon code offer that will save you an additional $20 on our everyday low price for the ScanGauge II 3-in-1 compact multifunction vehicle computer with customizable display.

To receive your coupon code discount, simply add the item to your Shopping Cart and then enter coupon code SCANDEAL when prompted during checkout. Please note, this code can only be used once per customer and only applies to products sold by Amazon.com. It does not apply to items sold by other merchants on the Amazon.com website.
Additionally - The gauge is currently $10 off, so after you apply the coupon code it'll be a total of $30 off. It's eligible for their free Super Saver Shipping, as well.

Item Link:
(Note: It has to be ordered from the ScanGauge vendor which is where this link takes you.)

tl;dr - Use the link above, at checkout use the couponcode SCANDEAL to apply $20 promo.

Wish I had the extra cash to pick one of these up right now =(

·
Registered
147 Posts
So...I got the ultra-gauge but it seems to be driving my ECU bonkers if I leave it plugged into the car. I ended up getting insanely low idles where the motor would actually start cutting off. I thought something else had gone wrong but after unplugging the ultra gauge and going for a drive it stopped. So I waited a few days and there were still no problems so I plugged the ultra-gauge back in...and by the next morning the low idle was back. :headbang:
I don't know if it's draining the power to the ECU overnight or what it's doing but either way I haven't had it plugged in since and haven't had any issues since. Anybody else have this problem? Really don't wanna plug this thing back in with the way it made the car behave.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Greetings all. Got an e-mail from Amazon the other day about this deal. Please note I'm not sure how long it's good for.

Additionally - The gauge is currently $10 off, so after you apply the coupon code it'll be a total of $30 off. It's eligible for their free Super Saver Shipping, as well.

Item Link:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AAMY86/ref=pe_104770_17067210_pe_epc_d1
(Note: It has to be ordered from the ScanGauge vendor which is where this link takes you.)

tl;dr - Use the link above, at checkout use the couponcode SCANDEAL to apply $20 promo.

Wish I had the extra cash to pick one of these up right now =(
Nice deal.

So...I got the ultra-gauge but it seems to be driving my ECU bonkers if I leave it plugged into the car. I ended up getting insanely low idles where the motor would actually start cutting off. I thought something else had gone wrong but after unplugging the ultra gauge and going for a drive it stopped. So I waited a few days and there were still no problems so I plugged the ultra-gauge back in...and by the next morning the low idle was back. :headbang:
I don't know if it's draining the power to the ECU overnight or what it's doing but either way I haven't had it plugged in since and haven't had any issues since. Anybody else have this problem? Really don't wanna plug this thing back in with the way it made the car behave.
Thats odd. Have you disconnected the battery lately? Well even then, by now your ecu would have trained itself anyway. I never had a problem with my scangauge

G

·
Discussion Starter #15

There is something online talking about Test Mode. If you leave it in test mode it will stay on all the time. I have mine plugged in and have no problems with it. My idle stays the same with it plugged in or without it plugged in. I have tried all kinds of stuff and still my idle stays the same. This unit is not designed to change settings but to monitor them, so i dont understand why your idle is low.

·
Registered
271 Posts
There is something online talking about Test Mode. If you leave it in test mode it will stay on all the time. I have mine plugged in and have no problems with it. My idle stays the same with it plugged in or without it plugged in. I have tried all kinds of stuff and still my idle stays the same. This unit is not designed to change settings but to monitor them, so i dont understand why your idle is low.
Yeah all it does is read the ecu. It doesn't program or alter the the engines way of performing. I leave mine plugged in all the time. Ive only taken it out to read CEL in other cars.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
does the ultragauge have a removeable cord? from the looks of pictures, the cord for the OBDII is part of the whole unit.

nice price for the features, but not being able to disconnect the cord makes it hard to hide it away in some spots.

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
does the ultragauge have a removeable cord? from the looks of pictures, the cord for the OBDII is part of the whole unit.

nice price for the features, but not being able to disconnect the cord makes it hard to hide it away in some spots.

Unfortunately that is the one thing i don't like about it. The cord is NOT removable.

I would love for it to be like a GPS unit where the base is what the power plug goes into and you can remove the unit but that's not the case.

With the extra cord i have wrapped around the mount i can let it rest in the small compartment under the gauges to the left of the steering wheel. Granted the wire still sticks out, but the unit is still semi hidden.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah if you leave it in the menu it'll stay on, but no the gauge itself will shut off properly. I have one of the early units and I saw on their website that they made some change where it'll shut off now even if you leave it in some menu. Wonder if it also has some other changes that they didn't put on the website? Either way, the screen turns off but I get the weird idle. My car hasn't had any problems since I stopped keeping it plugged in...been fine for a month now. Might give it another shot and see what's up.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have a 2005 I-4 SE (USA made) and I ordered an ultra gauge after reading some about it here and on other forums.

I had this same exact experience. Minutes after plugging it in, my idle dropped to 300rpm and it felt like the engine was going to cut out. I removed the gauge and was still doing it. Took me a couple stops and restarts and maybe 10 miles of driving for most of it to go away.

I too am now concerned about what will happen if I reconnect it and what in the world it could have done to cause the idle drop??

I have about 55k on the car and never had a problem with it. I actually bought the gauge to hook up to my other car as it had a CEL I wanted to read. I put it on the camry just out of curiosity.

I am going to contact ultragauge and see what they say.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts