Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
TN's furry friend
1995 Toyota Camry LE
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to see a picture of the top of the piston clearly where the nut is. thanks

for a gen 3.5 if possible, if not, i guess that's okay too

*edit. the picture i am requesting is of the strut installed. I need to see a picture of the shaft because I am unsure if there were flats on the damper shaft that needed to be matched up with the flats in the spring seat and if i did that during installation or not...

if you are still wondering what im talking about, look at page 10-6 of the haynes manual.

·
Carzz R Xpensive!!111
1,223 Posts
hmm, wish i would have known before i put them in!!!

well i guess i can still get a picture of them! :bash: :lol: wasn't thinking!

i'll post 'em up in like 5 secs

EDIT:

if youa re talking about that top nut then here's some pics i just took, these are my fronts, but if you REALLY need the back then i can get those too, i just didn't feel like pulling off my my interior again, after putting them back on like a day ago :lol:

hopefully this is what you are looking for!

right strut:

left:

·
TN's furry friend
1995 Toyota Camry LE
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^thanks alot for your help and fast response. but i need pics of them uninstalled because i need to see the bottom part of the shaft where it sits under the mount.

·
Carzz R Xpensive!!111
1,223 Posts
your welcome, but i don't guess i can help ya there! hope nothing's wrong man!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Are you talking about the dust guard that ends in a big rubber bit, and goes against the strut mount? I've heard those pieces called about 10 different things, so i'll clarify what I mean:

You say you need a pic of the top part of the strut, uninstalled. As far as I remember, the spring sits against a big rubber chunk, which extends down into a dust guard. Where the rubber chunk meets the strut mount, I do indeed have flats that align with the bottom of the studs on the strut mount. It seems everything needs to be placed precisely on a strut before it's ready to put in a car...

Anyhoo, hope I helped.

·
TN's furry friend
1995 Toyota Camry LE
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^im talking more specifically about the piston. whether or not it had flats that needed to be aligned when it goes up into the strut mount through the bottom.

·
TN's furry friend
1995 Toyota Camry LE
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
heres what im talking about:

do the tokicos have this? i cant remember seeing it when i installed it.

·
Carzz R Xpensive!!111
1,223 Posts
i don't remember that, hopefully i don't have them, cause they didn't grab my attention, and if i do have them, then i hope they aren't important haha. what is the point for them, cause mine seemed to go in smoothly! is that flat really important?

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,072 Posts
That pic you have there shows where the strut shaft has to line up to the strut bearing plate, so you get the strut bearing doing the turning and not the strut shaft / spring.

Similar to an indexed or keyed connection, so only one way is correct.

·
TN's furry friend
1995 Toyota Camry LE
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^i can make turns pretty easily

guess ill dbl check tomm while turning the wheel and looking at the strut/spring

·
TN's furry friend
1995 Toyota Camry LE
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
found better pictures:

so the flats sit directly under the strut mount if you look closely at the picture.

i'm pretty sure my shaft would have rotated and slipped in by itself after tightening the nut on top.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts