Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
You asked for it...
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed an aftermarket auto transmission cooler in a corolla?

I have a 97 DX, and the cooler threads are stripped out on my radiator. I saw some aftermarket transmission fluid coolers from CSK Auto that are reasonably priced, a heck of a lot cheaper than a new radiator.

I assume it has to go in front of the radiator - is there room? is it an easy mod? and do you have a recommmendation on a make or model?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
My understanding is that the stacked plate design is more efficient than the tube and fin design. I think B&M makes the stake plate type among others. You can find these at summitracing.com.

There are a few Camry folks here who have put transmission coolers on their Camrys but some of them still used the cooler in the radiator. I think a couple people bypassed the radiator completely though. Search for their threads...

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
I put one on my Camry, inline with the radiator (I tow a utility trailer sometimes). All that entailed was splicing into a line and mounting the unit forward of the A/C condensor.

One of the reasons that they run the tranny fluid into the radiator is to help maintain a constant operating tempreature. You don't want it over-cooling if you live in an area that gets cold. (Shouldn't be a problem for you in Arizona)
I don't know what harm that might do, but I do know that my car doesn't shift right when the tranny is cold (but then again, my tranny is slipping :) )

Have you tried getting a radiator from a salvage yard?

·
You asked for it...
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses!

I see that B&M says it has a bypass setup to help avoid the overcooling problem; I may go with one of those. It looks pretty tight in there, but after measuring the space, I think they have one that should fit.

I don't want to use a salvage yard radiator because the plastic tanks all seem to crack after a few years, at least here in Phoenix, and the radiator in the car is only a year or so old.

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
azcorolla said:
Thanks for the responses!

I see that B&M says it has a bypass setup to help avoid the overcooling problem; I may go with one of those. It looks pretty tight in there, but after measuring the space, I think they have one that should fit.

Looks good.
Goodluck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would personally try to match the number of cells in the radiators cooler to the AM cooler if in a stock application.

Another cheaper option is to use some rubber hose and some hose clamps. I wouldnt imagine it pumping more than 7-11 psi.

·
You asked for it...
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the idea of saving my money by just clamping it on. I tried it, but the nipple was built for a flare connection, so it was very short and curved. The hose just slipped off when I tightened it.

So I bought one of the tranny coolers and installing it was very easy. I bought the largest size cooler that would fit in there. It came with hoses and clamps, and it fit right in front of the radiator. Took about 25 minutes total and cost under 40.00. Time will tell if it causes problems, but this was one of the easiest modifications I've ever done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts