Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that when I turn the wheel from the left to the right back and forth it makes a knocking noise right when it changes directions. I've got an 89 GT and have also noticed that the steering isn't as tight as it used to be. Is there anyone who knows much about the steering column and what I would need to get replaced to fix the problem. Is it just a nut or something small, or am I going to need the whole column replaced? If you know, even just a little bit, please let me know so I can get this problem solved as quick as possible. Thanks!

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
If it's a slight knock when you change direction ie. going clockwise to counter-clockwise then I would bet my money on the steering box or some part of the hydraulic system.

The column per se is unlikely to suffer any wear since it's a metal part that doesn't have weak parts prone to snapping, twisting or breaking... unless of course you run into a wall at 120 KPH and you are not wearing your seatbelt. ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, I actually sheared off my steering column in my 84 GT-S when I tried removing the steering wheel without a puller. Just braced my feet and pulled hard and all of a sudden *snap*. The collapsable steering column pins sheared off hehe. Probably not related to this though but just referencing the post directly above.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it's just when I change direction it makes that knocking noise. What exactly do I need to get replaced, and is it costly, or is it something I can do on my own? It sounds difficult, but I just want to get a pros opinion. Thanks for your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts