Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 185/70/R13 tires on my 89 celica GT and I was wondering if 185/70/R14 studded snow tires would fit. Does anyone know? If not, would 175/70/R13 fit? I just want to be able to buy some cheap snow tires, so if these don't fit, does anyone know where I can buy a cheap set of snow tires? Thanks a ton for your help guys!

·
F'ing 3sgte swap ARGH!!!!
Celica 6th Gen Convt
808 Posts
here's a break down of the numbers.

the first number is the width of the tire in millimeters, measured from sidewall to sidewall

The second number is the aspect ratio. This is a ratio of sidewall height to width

last number is the diameter of the wheel in inches.

so naturally, the r14 shd be able to fit on, the other 175/70/r13 will fit. but it'll look thinner than ur old tires. :D

hopefully i'm correct here.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, what would you guys recommend? Should I get the thinner tires, or should I get the bigger tires and just deal with the speedometer problem? The reason I'm asking is because I know someone that's selling these and they're really cheap and I don't want to lose this opportunity.

·
Registered
100 Posts
well when you use the calculator, 185/60/14 will result in almost no alteration to the speedo.

if you do 175/70/13 your speedo reading is 2.4% too fast

if you do 185/70/14 your speedo reading is 4.3% too slow

so you decide. Use the calculator it tells you what you need to know. if you can put up with the speedo, by all means go ahead and get the 14".

·
F'ing 3sgte swap ARGH!!!!
Celica 6th Gen Convt
808 Posts
hmm, just wondering, the tad diff in the speedo reading will not affect driving that much rite.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So would the 175/70/R13 fit on my current 185/70/R13 rims, or will the sidewall not be big enough?

·
Registered
443 Posts
i might as well add my own. "will they fit?" to this.

im going to throw on my sisters old snow tires. (by old i mean she used them before me, they have plenty of life on them).. they where on her 2000 honda civic. any ways there are 185/65 15

im told they are taller so i will have the spedo problum but whatever. any know if they will rub?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Zrain said:
i might as well add my own. "will they fit?" to this.

im going to throw on my sisters old snow tires. (by old i mean she used them before me, they have plenty of life on them).. they where on her 2000 honda civic. any ways there are 185/65 15

im told they are taller so i will have the spedo problum but whatever. any know if they will rub?
I suggest you try out the calculator that pineapple attached as a link. Best way to find out. Its pretty accurate too. Just fill in your stock tire size on the left column then the new tire size on the right column... viola. You have your answer. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
How much work would be involved in changing from 13" to 14" wheel size on a 1987 Celica. Has anyone done this conversion?

Have the four lug pattern on the 13" wheels but wanted to put on the 14" five lug Toyota GTS factory alloy wheel and covert the present rear drum brakes to rear disc brakes in the process.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Holy thread revival..... 13" wheels suck, so most people have found rims 14" plus. All is involved is buying 14" rims w/the same bolt pattern and most rims will fit. Also You have to make sure the offset is right. Steelies will amost always work.
On my celica I run with 14" steelies, p195 75 r14 on the back, and p185 70 r14 on the front. I like the rake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fred1998 said:
How much work would be involved in changing from 13" to 14" wheel size on a 1987 Celica. Has anyone done this conversion?

Have the four lug pattern on the 13" wheels but wanted to put on the 14" five lug Toyota GTS factory alloy wheel and covert the present rear drum brakes to rear disc brakes in the process.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sorry I mis-read your post.....
doing wheel attachment swaps suck. It requires a lot of planning money and time. All that work just to have disc brakes in the back is a waste of time in my opionion.

What are you trying to accomplish?
just going for a bigger rims... buy rims.
Just want disc brakes in back... Why?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can get fairly new front spindles with everything complete, rotors, calipers, everything for $100 at the salvage yard. The car doesn't stop all that well with good shoes all around. It is an 1987 ST and had the opporunity to add the GTS rear lid spoiler stuff for next to nothing and looks almost factory new. Figured I'd go the rest of the way and try to make it look like a factory GTS. You don't see many in really nice shape on the road. Was why I wanted to put the factory alloy type wheels on it. Probably not the easy or most economical way to go but is the what I would like to do. This car has 80,000 miles on it and runs like a dream. Not super fast but runs great. Was not sure what all is different in the front suspension area between the 13" and 14" equipped cars, such as wheel bearings, CV joint, brake calipers, etc to make the swap as easy as possible. After this weekend the parts may be gone from the salvage yard anyway...and no...won't be changing out the motor next...lol

·
Registered
271 Posts
You could maybe have those wheels machined to a 4 hole pattern, maybe, could very well put the wheel out of balence but it's the thought that counts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts