Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Toyota Camry LE
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 2000 Camry LE and had to replace the driver's side front window regulator. This piece of metal was laying in the bottom of the door. I used an inspection mirror to see if I could locate where it came from, but no success. Can someone identify it?

Thanks,
--JC

Amber Wood Cylinder Bullet Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
2,722 Posts
Looks like a counterweight from the outside handle.

Its function is, on high energy side impact, to balance the mass inertia of the grip, to prevent the outside handle from stroking (during the period while the car is moving sideways, during the initial period of the side impact) which could allow the door to open. In general, the door opening during a side impact is not that big of a deal, because the impact will be holding the door closed. But, if the vehicle continued moving (say, it then did a rollover after the side impact) it would be preferred the door kept closed.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
2,722 Posts
Ever since the late '90s cars from all makers sold in the US have some variation of this on their outside handles, due to the side impact regulations which came into effect around that time. Some used a simple counterweight like this one, others used little levers which would rotate and lock the handle into place by inertia.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts