Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been curious about this. The two tacoma engines seem to be decent on gas mileage and power and are also pretty modern. Certainly an 18rg or something would be nice, but long term reliability and availability of parts would be a concern to me (like being stuck in a small town in the middle of nowhere that you couldn't find a part for an 18rg if your life depended on it). So, the 2rz and 3rz were looking interesting. Certainly I realize that there are other swaps available with v6 or v8 even, but for the purposes of this thread I am more just looking to see if anyone has done this swap....not just looking for what swaps are available.

Second part of it would be if you have done this swap, how were the results? Power up to snuff? Gas mileage decent (I would imagine it would be since it is decent in the Taco)? How tough of a swap was it, and did it take a lot of custom fabrication besides like engine mounts?

Thanks for any info...and if there are any links to someones project on this I would appreciate getting to see them :)

·
pseudo-systematic
176 Posts
i have never seen that swap done, but that is a really great idea. LC engineering has a few performance parts for the 2/3rz, so aftermarket support is out there. i dont know if the trans will bolt up but if it doesnt, you could probably use the trans from a 2wd taco.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts