1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
It's crap IMO. Only pulls in hot air from the engine bay. That's pretty much it for quality issues. Stick with stock intake piping especially if thats would be your only modification.

Just FYI, you won't get too much from upgrading intake/exhaust if your engine/fuel system can't handle the increased flow.

·
AllTrac'er
1991 Toyota Corolla
30 Posts
Have you installed one? and I do believe they build shields for those to keep the engine air out. speaking of those....anyone try a tornado in their intake tube...is it worth the $90 cdn for the increase power and fuel economy.

Ukrainian102 said:
It's crap IMO. Only pulls in hot air from the engine bay. That's pretty much it for quality issues. Stick with stock intake piping especially if thats would be your only modification.

Just FYI, you won't get too much from upgrading intake/exhaust if your engine/fuel system can't handle the increased flow.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tornado is total bs. Seen many dynos that show it having made less power. I've also seen sri made substantial power even with all that hot air in the engine bay.

·
AllTrac'er
1991 Toyota Corolla
30 Posts
How about a k&n filter? anyone notice improvement?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
i donno from my time here the Short Rams are a waste if you want something go K&N drop in if you want more go CAI just gotta find one LOL

·
AllTrac'er
1991 Toyota Corolla
30 Posts
Was gonna go drop in.....but it's that or the tornado.....just want a bit more power for highway driving.....and better fuel economy....getting 27.7mpg now after 238500kms. Unless someone knows where in newfoundland I can get seafoam?

94_Rolla_Guy said:
i donno from my time here the Short Rams are a waste if you want something go K&N drop in if you want more go CAI just gotta find one LOL

·
Mechanic Racer
1992 Corolla
20 Posts
i actually baught that same intake and put it on my car, at first it wanted to bog down but i reset my computer and it adjusted slightly now it runs great and has good response, it did add a little power. Oh and it will have one hole which i put the senser in and blocked off the breather hose, after all that it works greats i have no compllaints especially for the price, if you already have it just mess with it alittle and you will figure it out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So stock isn't so bad eh? This is my first toyota. I know GM cars are absolutely horrible. I put CAI on my firebird and noticed an immediate difference.
But do you really think a drop in is still better than a sri?
Whatever I've worked on I've learned the filter isn't really what the problem is. Assuming it's clean, the K&N don't really help much over stock? The restrictions are in the piping, baffling, etc. My bike for example runs worse with high flow filters than stock ones.

Hey nitro just saw your post. Any pics? So I have to block off one rubber vacuume hose. Then install an air flow sensor into the tube. You said there is a hole for it. Do you just stick it in there, or is there more involved? Did you just unplug the battery for 10 mins to reset it? Anything else I should know?

Thanks

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
The fact that people still don't know that Tornados are shit still baffles me. :disappoin

·
AllTrac'er
1991 Toyota Corolla
30 Posts
Maybe I'll prove you wrong that it's worth it......I'm also gonna spray some throttle body cleaner in....after 238000kms it might be dirty.......

REN69 said:
The fact that people still don't know that Tornados are shit still baffles me. :disappoin

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
I know.. :lol: he'll come back with this story.

With the Tornado I save .000005 liters a day, that's a whole savings of 2L a year!!!! :thumbup: :eek:

·
I don't hate C3H8
763 Posts
Tornado = restrictor plate.

Any extra shit you add in the intake piping adds pressure drop. increased pressure drop = decreased airflow. Decreased airflow means the O2 sensor throttles back the fuel being added to maintain stoichiometric efficiency. Less air + less gas = less power and if you have a good ecu and O2 sensor - better milage

but I think it would take two - three years to get back the original 90 bucks lol.

You better off just driving intelligently.

·
Mechanic Racer
1992 Corolla
20 Posts
jjminch said:
So stock isn't so bad eh? This is my first toyota. I know GM cars are absolutely horrible. I put CAI on my firebird and noticed an immediate difference.
But do you really think a drop in is still better than a sri?
Whatever I've worked on I've learned the filter isn't really what the problem is. Assuming it's clean, the K&N don't really help much over stock? The restrictions are in the piping, baffling, etc. My bike for example runs worse with high flow filters than stock ones.

Hey nitro just saw your post. Any pics? So I have to block off one rubber vacuume hose. Then install an air flow sensor into the tube. You said there is a hole for it. Do you just stick it in there, or is there more involved? Did you just unplug the battery for 10 mins to reset it? Anything else I should know?

Thanks
yah when i got it there was one hole with a rubber grommet in it. This is where i placed the senser which fit right in. then i took the plug in nipple off the air hose and plugged it completely. After installed it bogged down when it was cold so yah i disconnected the batt. for like 10 min. and when I re-connected the change was not emmediate but after a couple drives it seemed to do fine even when cold, i just give it slightly more gas which isnt a problem because i usually take off fast anyways but it really can start at a lower rpm once its been on for a day or a couple drives.Now the car runs great again and i get better response
and it feels like it has more power not to mention it looks and sounds cool :D
oh if you want pics you can go to my site but i dont currently have a pic of my intake on there cause it wont show bitmap style pics but i could e-mail you any info or pics you need.

·
omg jdm
2,002 Posts
Flashmn said:
Sounds to me like the discussion we had two weeks ago :rolleyes:
Which one? The hot air intake or the tornado? Oh, wait, both come up once a week :rolleyes:

Short ram intakes suck in hot air. You won't notice a difference, no matter what you think. You say it made more power? Noise is not power. Stick with the stock intake ductwork and stay away from cheap intakes.

·
Mechanic Racer
1992 Corolla
20 Posts
i dont just base the effeciancy off noise by the way, maybe it didnt add much more power, i cant tell you that cause i didnt dyno it but i CAN tell you that it DID add response and may have added slight power, it feels like. The noise is just an added bonus, to me anyways. oh and i forgot to add my site to that last post http://sfracing.mooo.com there it is

·
Registered
Corolla - 1999 VE
419 Posts
shyguy36 said:
How about a k&n filter? anyone notice improvement?
i have a k&n drop in filter. worth the money i think. got the filter and cleaning kit for 30 bucks :) ive noticed more, but insignificant, power. but i never expected it to give me "15+hp" b/c if it was that easy..everyone would do it. but thats not the case here

1 - 20 of 41 Posts