Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here had the 3M clear film applied to the lower part of their doors (from the lower edge of the doors to just above the wavy, anti-chip spray) instead of mounting tube steps or running boards to protect the paint? If so, how is it holding up? How high did you go on the doors? I currently have the running boards, but am thinking about taking them off because I like the look better without them, but would like to protect the paint with the film.

·
MisterWC930
White TRD Sport DCLB
271 Posts
Keep the running board

TacoSport05 said:
Has anyone here had the 3M clear film applied to the lower part of their doors (from the lower edge of the doors to just above the wavy, anti-chip spray) instead of mounting tube steps or running boards to protect the paint? If so, how is it holding up? How high did you go on the doors? I currently have the running boards, but am thinking about taking them off because I like the look better without them, but would like to protect the paint with the film.
I have a clear bra installed on my car. The installers said that the section above the anti-chip spray area would probably not get too many chips from rocks being kicked up. I agree with that and hence I did not do that section.

If I was going to put clear bra anywhere around there, I would place it on the front of the rear tire flare. I would replace the cheap clear bra from the factory and do a more thorough job.

In addition, keep in mind that tube guards and running boards are exellent at preventing door dings in parking lots. If you care that much about the paint on your doors, door dings are the things you should be most worried about. Thus, IMO you should keep the running boards. It also helps you when washing and waxing. I also like the look...I am installing tube steps for my taco.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just had the factory clear bra material removed and replaced on the front of the rear fenders. I had it done at Omega Tintwerks here in Pleasanton (East Bay area). Vincent did a very thorough job, completely removing the old factory material, cleaning the fender, and custom fitting a new piece. I decided to have the entire fender covered, going the whole width, then going higher than the stock cover. If you are thinking of re-doing the stock fender protector, I highly recommend Vincent. PM me if you need his information.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not yet, but I will soon. Interested in a pair, or know someone who is??

SJlittlefoot said:
So does that mean that you have a set of deezee tube steps laying around?

·
Official Baller
'07 Tacoma PreRunner
2,960 Posts
I personally can't stand seeing Tacomas without step tubes/bars/rails. I hate seeing the rivets along under the doors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts