Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if an apexi autotimer can be put on a 5SFE engine, if so does anyone know how to install?

Any other apexi electronics that will fit the 5S-FE?

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Timer? Turbo Timer? Why install a turbo timer if you don't have turbo :confused: Or you're planning to get one?
Yes, you can install all APEXi electronic in any car. Ok, the VTEC control will not work or you can use it for something else.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
how many people have done this: basically after you have commuted, you turn off your car and go to "ACC" (Accessory) position on your ignition..and the fan comes on and stays on for like 30-60 seconds. I know from personal experience in my ES300 (imzfe), old 90 celica (5sfe) and my current solara (5sfe) that the fan came on - on ALL of them. Having a timer would be great as i wouldn't have to sit in the parking lot, waiting for hte fan to turn off..this way, when the engine is cooled..it turned itself off. I know some Acura's Legends/tls' have that built in (as i'm a valet parker)..you turn off the engine and walk away, but the engine still idels for good few minutes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apexi super afc controller on a camry?

Cheers for the advice, i think that i will install a auto timer on my camry

I was thinking about installing an apexi Super AFC controller on my 5FSE as well, does anyone know if it is possible or how to do it?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Living in Canada and Northern Europe all my life I probably just don't get it. Your car's electric fan kicks in if the car is too hot after shutdown. Why do you need the car to run, burning gas, while you walk away. Couldn't you just take it easy for the last few miles, before you get to your destination or sit in the car at idle for 30 secs if you think it's that hot. :confused:

·
club momentum moves you !
06 Tacoma X-Runner
456 Posts
its possible to hook the timer and the AFC :) im running the Apexi S-AFC2 in mine and it works perfect. All you need to do is find a ECU wiring diagram or pin-out for your ECU, then find all the right wires.. i think for the S-AFC theres only 6 or 7 wires ? i forget and im also thinking of getting the Apexi Turbo\NA timer for the AFR meter thats built it :)

-shook

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
How much does one of these timers go for?

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
Cool, I might get one before I go to Spain and install it in my next project car:D

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
question: how to do you LOCK your vehicle w/ a timer. I've got a OEM alarm RS3000 on my solara...so do i just turn the car off and depress "LOCK" and walk away....the the car locks and arms right? its only the engine that runs/idells...i ask cus isn't the RS300 got the ignisition cutoff during locking/arming process?

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
Thats why i've never ventured into this...i've asked around, i was told they can disable the alarm feature and just make it keyless entry..and then make it work...OR go the aftermarket route. Glad someone understands what i'm talking about...but still any solutions people...???

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Get aftermarket alarm, remote start package. That's what I got from CompuStar.

NA don't need timer to help cool down. It's not the oil that need cooling, its the turbo itself. Exhaust temp get above 1000C and no oil can stand that. They'll dry up and plug the oil line to the turbo which will cause bearing failure. Turbo timer keep engine idle to cool down the turbo and oil flowing to turbo to prevent oil dry up. Since NA engine don't pass oil to the exhaust, it won't get that hot. Also with coolant in the engine it never get close to oil boiling point. If you need to cool it down to keep it running, that something seriously wrong with the NA engine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm not for sure, but here is a theory. You may be able to hook up a capacitor to the oil pump, that way when the car is turned off, the pump will run off the power in the capacitor until its all gone. Dont know the specifics of it, like how much power the pump would draw or anything but its a theory....

·
Grenaded piston
6,612 Posts
jwetzler83 said:
I'm not for sure, but here is a theory. You may be able to hook up a capacitor to the oil pump, that way when the car is turned off, the pump will run off the power in the capacitor until its all gone. Dont know the specifics of it, like how much power the pump would draw or anything but its a theory....
Good idea, but it won't work.

The oil pump on Camrys are driven by the timing belt. So if the engine is not running, the pump is not working.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts