Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the Apple CarPlay update today... I'm wondering, as soon as I plug it CarPlay enables. Does this mean that my XM is now pulling from my iPhone and using airtime, or is it still using my cars XM subscription? Obviously as soon as I go to Waze or google maps, I'll be using airtime, just not sure about the XM side. Is there any reason why I shouldn't charge using my USB as the norm being that it's enabling CarPlay?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your xm radio, as long as you have chosen it from the audio menu, is still running from the satellite.
Anything you chose from the CarPlay menu will use your data, if needed. Frankly, using anything other than carplay makes very little sense as the Entune system is the least enjoyable thing I know, next to having my nails removed, one by one. You have 3 mapping programs in carplay... waze, applemaps and google maps. Using google maps with their satellite view is something else.
CarPlay is the best thing that happenend to Entune - by overshaowing it completely.
Enjoy it. Anyone without it wants it.

I had the Apple CarPlay update today... I'm wondering, as soon as I plug it CarPlay enables. Does this mean that my XM is now pulling from my iPhone and using airtime, or is it still using my cars XM subscription? Obviously as soon as I go to Waze or google maps, I'll be using airtime, just not sure about the XM side. Is there any reason why I shouldn't charge using my USB as the norm being that it's enabling CarPlay?

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MM, I’m enjoying the CarPlay and especially getting away from the Scout app. I am hesitant however to use Google Maps as it had recently sent me on a wild goose chase. Google maps created a bogus exit on the PA turnpike that forced me to add an hour to a hour and a half trip! Waze has been my go to and that’s been the big bonus of CarPlay.

My latest CarPlay issue of learning is my 3 way split screen, I lost the phone favorites that came from Entune, it now shows a blank screen titled CarPlay. Sure I can click on it and my favorites take over the entire screen, but I’m hoping to figure out how to pull favorites into that now blank tile.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As soon as you plug in the phone, the carply box will appear. If you leave it unplugged, it should return to your normal situation before the carplay update was installed.

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, and that’s how I’ve been using it. There was a video online that said to hold down the home button to toggle back and forth, I find that to be not quite accurate. Yes, it will toggle between the XM screen and the CarPlay app, but once you’re in CarPlay there’s no exiting until you pull the plug. Not a big issue, just a get used to item.

·
2014 VW Passat Tsi SEL
882 Posts
I am hesitant however to use Google Maps as it had recently sent me on a wild goose chase. Google maps created a bogus exit on the PA turnpike that forced me to add an hour to a hour and a half trip! Waze has been my go to and that’s been the big bonus of CarPlay.
Use Waze, period.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I checked it and if the CarPlay is active with the iPhone plugged in, you can still listen to Xm off the satellite by hitting the audio button and choose xm or by hitting any xm channel you have programmed as a favorite

1 - 8 of 8 Posts