Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 856 Posts

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
WARNING
If you don't know what you are doing, please DO NOT attempt this.
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BREAKING YOUR CAR!
WARNING

What you need:
1) A Windows Computer (Or a Windows VM)
2) 4~8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive, good quality!!
3) The correct PDF and ZIP for your car.

NOTE:
The Flash Drive MUST be formatted on a Windows computer. Linux/Mac will NOT work.
Format the drive as FAT32 (I recommend a slow format, to be safe)
Extract the .ZIP to your flash drive and very carefully follow the steps in the PDF

Good Luck!

https://www.intrustech.com/entune3carplay/
Alternative Link
https://camryupdate.home.blog/

Special thanks to @fungabriel for providing the files.

Troubleshooting
- No A/C control or No Vehicle Customization. No worries, you have two options. First, just wait a few hours. Good chance it will fix itself. The quick method is simple too, just pull the neg battery terminal and wait 5 minutes. CAREFULLY reattach the power and setup the stereo again. You should have A/C and Customization again.

- Red Screen Failure. Again, not a big deal. You have a bad flash drive or a bad download. Back up and start over. I recommend a high end super-fast flash drive. This update is REALLY HARD on the drive. You will write 3~4GB of data to the drive, then the stereo will read no less than 6GB, I've now seen reads up to 9GB. A cheap flash will slow down after it gets hot and the stereo will give a red screen once it doesn't get the data it needs fast enough.

- Update not recognized. The can be a few things. 1) you put the files on the drive wrong 2) you formatted the drive wrong 3) you partitioned the drive wrong 4) you download the wrong update. The drive needs to be partitioned in Windows, and then formatted FAT32. If you are a techie, you can do this on Mac using the terminal, but odds are you are going to get the partition wrong still. To be 100% sure it's right, it should be done in Windows. Large SSD's or Hard Drives can be used, I recommend wiping the drive, creating a single "simple" 8GB partition, then format FAT32 with 4K blocks.

- Update not compatible. This should be self explanatory. You either downloaded the wrong one, or you have a car that doesn't not have a north american stereo. This update WILL NOT WORK for other markets. (No, you can not rename the files to make it work in China, please stop asking)

- ICS Blinking. This one corrects itself after the power was removed from the car. It will stop blinking after you drive.

- Anything Else. We haven't seen any other issues, and have not had any reports of true "bricking". If you are able to get a RED, BLUE, or GREEN screen, you are NOT bricked. I understand you are worried, maybe even scared, but remember this update was designed for the most inexperienced toyota tech to install. 99.5% of the issues reported are solved with a fresh download and a higher quality/faster flash drive. Bricking is only caused by the car being turned off while the update is writing to the unit. If you car turned off, you failed to read the directions that clearly stated you MUST START THE ENGINE. The car will turn itself off after 20 minutes if you do not start it.

- The update started again! Yeah, oops.. you left the flash drive in the port. You will need to let the update complete a SECOND TIME. This is almost guaranteed to cause the A/C & Vehicle Customization issue. Just complete the update process, verify that CarPlay works, and pull the battery cable.

Updates:
5/6 - Added SHA-1 hashes for download verification
5/7 - Added Lexus Update for supported cars
5/13 - Added Nav to Sienna section, Replaced .ZIP files with new ones that do not have the extra sub-folder
5/13 - Downloads are hosted in Canada now. Zips have been renamed to better identify the update. Correct PDF is now included in the zips.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You guys rock thanks to you and @fungabriel for providing the files and keeping us updated every step of the way.

Update:

For people who are planning to get a usb drive i got this
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk...?skuId=5931008
and worked on my first try just in case I did turn on the A/C so car is not too hot to give extra heat to the usb drive.

I did a slow format which took about 45 min or so just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Many thanks for this!

Before attempting the update I’d like to hear from the more adventurous of you guys. ;) Does this work? Do you have any good tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Unfortunately, I only have access to a Mac (no Windows or Windows VM available). Can someone please explain why I can't use an 8GB flash drive that I've already formatted via my Mac's Disk Utility as MS-DOS (FAT32)? See attached screen shot. Sorry, but I'm just not sure what the technical reasons are for that limitation.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately, I only have access to a Mac (no Windows or Windows VM available). Can someone please explain why I can't use an 8GB flash drive that I've already formatted via my Mac's Disk Utility as MS-DOS (FAT32)? See attached screen shot. Sorry, but I'm just not sure what the technical reasons are for that limitation.
Unfortunately, macOS will format the drive FAT32, but it will create a GPT partition which causes the stereo to not see the drive.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Just create a small bootcamp partition for windows as delete it when your done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
**WARNING**

If you don't know what you are doing, please DO NOT attempt this.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BREAKING YOUR CAR!

**WARNING**

What you need:

1) A Windows Computer (Or a Windows VM)

2) 4~8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive, good quality!!

3) The correct PDF and ZIP for your car.

NOTE:

The Flash Drive MUST be formatted on a Windows computer. Linux/Mac will NOT work.

Format the drive as FAT32 (I recommend a slow format, to be safe)

Extract the .ZIP to your flash drive and very carefully follow the steps in the PDF

Good Luck!

https://www.intrustech.com/camry/

Special thanks to @fungabriel for providing the files.

Sienna files will be added this evening.
A 3.0 USB will work fine right?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
to help identify your radios:

base = no CD player = Camry LE and SE

entune audio plus = CD player, HD radio and XM = mostly Camry XLE/XSE

premium = CD player and built in NAV = mostly Camry XLE/XSE

·
Registered
5 Posts

I have an XLE 2018, no CD player, HD radio or XM. So... which category do I fall under?

2018 XLE 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
314 Posts

I have a 2018 XSE 7" display w no cd or sirius xm and it is a pioneer unit.

Ian B

·
1,626 Posts

I have a 2018 XSE 7" display w no cd or sirius xm and it is a pioneer unit.

Ian B
Go to setup, software information .. what does it say?

wait.. misread what you said.. thought it was a question

·
Registered
34 Posts
THANK YOU GUYS!! .... you are the best, kudos to @fungabriel for providing the files, YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

I don't want to ask too much, but I would appreciate if someone could give some tips/warnings/precautions (from your own experience) for a successful update. This would be really helpful for people like me who are not Toyota experts. Nobody wants to bricks their units, but nobody wants to wait for the dealers either!! :wink:

THANK YOU!!

·
2018 Camry XSE
2 Posts
Go to your dealer Apple CarPlay 2018 Camry Sienna

The Toyota dealerships got the fix today. Just schedule an appointment go in and have it done. Why take the risk? It takes between 15 min and an hour depending on how busy they are.

Scott

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Toyota dealerships got the fix today. Just schedule an appointment go in and have it done. Why take the risk? It takes between 15 min and an hour depending on how busy they are.

Scott

I'd love to. Not a single dealer in MN has the update. I've called like 4-5 dealers. Where in TIS is it? My buddy has access and can't find it.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update: use a HIGH QUALITY flash!!!!!
My first attempt failed about 80% though. It was a SanDisk Cruzer flash. Replaced with a Kingston and resuming.

This is an intense process. Not only is it 4GB of updates, it has to read each file twice. Once to verify and once to install. If the drive overheats, you start over.

1 - 20 of 856 Posts