Toyota Nation Forum banner

241 - 260 of 839 Posts

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
I got the red screen and can’t seem to get it back to normal. I think mine is fucked. Any suggestions? Tried 3 USBs and no dice
start from the beginning. delete the downloads, use a new flash drive. Do a slow format, redownload and verify the hash. Getting a red screen is telling you that it is failing the data verification. Something in the chain is causing the data to be corrupted.

You can also use an external hard drive, as long as it's partitioned and formatted correctly.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Just to be clear

a LONG delay followed by a red screen is caused by the data not being able to be read on the flash. If you have a flash drive with an LED, you will see that during the long delay, the flash is being read from non-stop. It's a 3 Gigabyte file that needs to be complete read and hashed to verify it, then read again to write to the DCU. That 6+ gigs of reading is often FAR more than a cheap flash can tolerate in a short period.

Run out to Best Buy, Staples, Office Max, Walmart, etc and pick up one or more drives. Avoid the tiny ones - the larger they are, the better they are dissipating heat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update to no heat or ac

I got out and shot it off a 3rd time and now I have heat and ac again.

Though my gracenote version is not the same as the document states to see and ID’s have changed for meu and device

·
Registered
18 Posts
don't think anyone trashed their HU. The Toyota recovery process is pretty good and follow the tips mentioned above.
Can't wait for my commute home tonight with Apple podcast and waze on the big screen :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
**WARNING**
If you don't know what you are doing, please DO NOT attempt this.
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BREAKING YOUR CAR!
**WARNING**

What you need:
1) A Windows Computer (Or a Windows VM)
2) 4~8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive, good quality!!
3) The correct PDF and ZIP for your car.

NOTE:
The Flash Drive MUST be formatted on a Windows computer. Linux/Mac will NOT work.
Format the drive as FAT32 (I recommend a slow format, to be safe)
Extract the .ZIP to your flash drive and very carefully follow the steps in the PDF

Good Luck!

https://www.intrustech.com/entune3carplay/

Special thanks to @fungabriel for providing the files.
Sienna files will be added this evening.

AN UPDATE OF SOME COMMON ISSUES AND INSTRUCTIONS:
(PLEASE READ IN CONJUNCTURE WITH OTHER REPLIES ON THIS POST IF YOU ENCOUNTER ISSUES)

* The download page has been updated with a hash key to ensure the file is not corrupt. There is a common issue with some files being corrupt. *

How to detect if the download file (.zip) is corrupted:

Windows/PC: When transferring the files to your drive of choice, at some point you will receive
an error message that will advise one or more files were unable to be unzipped.
This indicates your files are corrupted.

Fix: Redownload the file and try again. If this persists more than 3 times please
let us know in this thread.

Mac OS: Usually you will not be notified that the file is corrupted. Mac’s skip over
corrupted files and many not even see some files as corrupted. When using a
Mac, the only way to tell if you were successful or not is by testing the drive in
your car. If it is corrupted you will received a red screen after toggling the
headlamps three times when prompted. Although it may state not to remove the
storage device or turn off the car, in order to reset you will need to do both. Start
by turning the car off. Once the car is off unplug the storage device and restart
the car. You will be taken to an installation window where you will need to wait
roughly 5 minutes, during this time nothing will happen on the screen. You will
then see the screen change to green and advise you to reboot. Reboot the
vehicle and this will bring you car back to normal.

Fix: Redownload the file and try again. If this persists more than 3 times please
let us know in this thread.

*Use this method if you’re
technologically inclined*

Hash: The download site has SHA-1 hash key’s that you can use to verify you
have the correct files and ensure none are corrupted. Start by downloading a
SHA1 hash checker either for Windows or Mac. Input the corresponding hash
key (located directly next to your systems update file on the download site) into
the checker and select the downloaded file to compare it against. Your hash
checker should notify you of any issues. If an issue is found attempt to
redownload. If the issue persists after three downloads please let us know.

What type of storage devices can be used?

- It is highly recommend that you use a good quality drive. You may use USB
Sticks, Portable Hard Disk Drives, Portable Solid State Drives, or SD
Cards. Some brands that have been discussed and others have had success
with are Kingston, Samsung, PNY, Seagate, and WesternDigital. Your milage
may very with other brands.

- Ensure that any drive you use is 8GB or larger and at least USB 2.0.

- When using larger drives you may encounter difficulties formatting to FAT32.
Drives larger than 16GB usually are forced, by Windows, to be formatted to
ExFAT. ExFAT does not work for this update and may cause issues with the
installation.

- It has been discussed that creating a partition of 8GB – 16GB on a drive DOES
work. You may do this, for example, on a 1TB portable drive. Be sure to format
the partition to FAT32.

How do I format my storage device?

Mac OS: Press Command+Space and search for Disk Utility then hit enter. Once Disk
Utility is open, select the drive you plan on using and hit the partition button at
the top of the window. All data on the drive will be lost with this process! Be
sure to back up any important files before continuing. Where it says name,
enter something simple like “USB”. For format, select MS-DOS (FAT). For
scheme, select Master Boot Record. Click erase and allow the computer a few
minutes to complete. Disk Utility will prompt you once complete, close the
application and transfer your files to the drive.

Windows/PC: Plug your drive into your computer and navigate to “This PC” in File Explore.
Once the drive appears right click on it and select “Format”. A new window will
appear, be sure your drive is selected in the drop down (usually D:// if you have
no other devices plugged into your PC). Do not modify the dropdown below
your drive. The third dropdown will ask what format, select Fat32 and select
Format at the bottom. Once finished, transfer the appropriate update files to the
drive.

* It is known that sometimes when using a HDD or SDD during the update process, when the vehicle restarts, the drive shutdown, interrupting the update. In some cases this can become problematic and can cause damage to your vehicle. Your milage may vary when using these devices. *

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

It is important to follow the appropriate instructions manual provided by Toyota for your vehicles specific update. You can find your corresponding instructions manual on the update download page. Failing to follow the instructions can result in significant damage to your vehicle. By performing this update, you do so willfully and understand the risk. This forum is for your support but is in no way responsible for damage to you vehicle.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Huge thanks to this forum and everyone who provided info. I installed CarPlay on my '18 Camry LE (base Pioneer unit) in roughly 20 minutes. Works like a charm!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve tried all the suggested options but the red screen persists. Maybe the USB shorted out halfway and it fried the whole thing? Not sure. Have it booked to go into the service department tomorrow.

Fuck me.

Happy for you all though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First post here. Just to say thank you to the selfless individuals in this forum, specially Fungabriel and Djoice101. I’m not technically savvy, just read the whole forum/s, followed directions and remembered the tips. Installed mine yesterday, base Pioneer SE. Took 20 min. Used a Sandisk Cruzer 16gb that I had some music in from old CDs. Enjoyed CP today during my commute. Thanks again. You guys/gals are awesome.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I got the red screen and can’t seem to get it back to normal. I think mine is fucked. Any suggestions? Tried 3 USBs and no dice

I think some people have cycled car on/off/on to resolve and resinstall update, it should go back to the point where you got the red screen and continue upgrading.

·
Mani
10 Posts
This is really annoying I check the checksum of the file and did everything according to manuals but after getting red screen once due to a corrupt usb, I can’t reach that stage anymore it gets stuck before reaching there ...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m currently in my car as I’m typing this and I went to step 11. I plugged in my usb drive and it said it was reading it (a small message box that popped up). After that it disappeared and I’ve been waiting for half an hour with no status bar or anything. Is this supposed to be like that with no status bar? Thank you I appreciate any help. I don’t want to wait for nothing

241 - 260 of 839 Posts
About this Discussion
838 Replies
238 Participants
fungabriel
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing