Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1008 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Update: use a HIGH QUALITY flash!!!!!
My first attempt failed about 80% though. It was a SanDisk Cruzer flash. Replaced with a Kingston and resuming.

This is an intense process. Not only is it 4GB of updates, it has to read each file twice. Once to verify and once to install. If the drive overheats, you start over.
What happened when the update failed at 80%?? did your unit boot again??

·
Premium Member
'18 Toyota Camry XSE
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My first attempt failed about 80% though. It was a SanDisk Cruzer flash. Replaced with a Kingston and resuming.

This is an intense process. Not only is it 4GB of updates, it has to read each file twice. Once to verify and once to install. If the drive overheats, you start over.
What happened when the update failed at 80%?? did your unit boot again??
The PDF gives instructions on this. My screen went red. I turned off the car and tried again. Same thing. I replaced the flash drive and trying again, now it's continuing. I think I'm almost done. Not sure how many reboots I've gone through.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It works from a Mac if the drive is new. I bought a new 16gb flash drive just now, downloaded from your link, extracted, copied to the drive making sure the 2 files were in the root (not in the folder as this did not work), and am now in the middle of the software update. I did check in disk utility and saw the drive was MBR, not GPT.

·
The Streets Of Miami !!
262 Posts
Completedddddd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Completed the installation on my 2018 SE Pioneer unit. The process was very easy and straightforward. Update took roughly 30 minutes. Now I get to play with Alexa, she's pretty responsive

·
Registered
34 Posts

What about formatting as exFat? Only thing I have besides a 16gb Sandisk Cruzer is a 64gb Sandisk and it only lets me format as exFat or NTFS. If the car reads it, should it be fine?

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
2,698 Posts
Some of the files you will download are zipped. Once you unzip the folder there is another folder, T1, T2, etc. Open up that folder and put all the contents from there on the usb. Example of how the usb should look like.

Attachments

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
2,698 Posts
PLEASE!! share your experiences ........ anyone with a Panasonic unit has completed the update??? tips??

Get a good quality USB 2.0 or 3.0 drive that is 4gb, 8gb or 16gb.

Put the contents of the zipped folder in the usb. The zipped folder will have another folder called T1 or T2 or etc. Open up that folder and copy and paste the files into the usb.
Download the TSB and follow the directions. You'll have to turn off auto update from the setup menu and such.

Start up your engine and put the usb drive in the usb port then let it do its thing.
After 10-14 minutes its going to ask you to flip the headlight switch off and on, that is when it starts to put the new software in.
Do not turn off your car... It'll reboot between 5-10 times and last from 25 minutes to 60 minutes.

You will then see a screen that says New software installation complete.

REMOVE the usb and turn the car off and on... you are now done.

Follow the TSB, the instructions are there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It works from a Mac if the drive is new. I bought a new 16gb flash drive just now, downloaded from your link, extracted, copied to the drive making sure the 2 files were in the root (not in the folder as this did not work), and am now in the middle of the software update. I did check in disk utility and saw the drive was MBR, not GPT.
Can you please clarify which "2" files you are referring to (or did you mean folders)? When my download finished, I had a T1 folder, and 2 sub-folders - PreInstall and Vehicle Parameter, plus 6 other individual files (see attached screen shot). In other words, if I just copy the PreInstall and Vehicle Parameter folders plus the 6 individual files shown in the screen shot to my USB drive, I should be good to go? Thanks for any other Mac tips you have as far as formatting the flash drive =)

Attachments

·
Registered
18 SE
3 Posts
You are the man! It took a little over 20 minutes to get my Entune basic receiver updated. I don't have an iPhone but was interested in the Alexa feature. Much appreciated!

BTW someone was asking if the flash drive had to be USB 2.0, but it worked fine for me using a 3.0 drive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can you please clarify which "2" files you are referring to (or did you mean folders)? When my download finished, I had a T1 folder, and 2 sub-folders - PreInstall and Vehicle Parameter, plus 6 other individual files (see attached screen shot). In other words, if I just copy the PreInstall and Vehicle Parameter folders plus the 6 individual files shown in the screen shot to my USB drive, I should be good to go? Thanks for any other Mac tips you have as far as formatting the flash drive =)
Nevermind, this was answered in a prior post while I was writing this one =)

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
2,698 Posts

Yes. Look at post#29. All the usb should have is what inside the t1 folder.

*beat you to it =D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Anyone in the philly area that can help me with this? Tried doing it myself but I’m unsure on a couple parts and don’t want to mess it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
'18 Toyota Camry XSE
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
WOOT! I'm up and running!!!!

Initial impression...

1) SO responsive. I'm really impressed. I had a '19 Corolla as a rental while my Camry was getting the ECU replaced. The Corolla CarPlay was crap. VERY slow.
2) Audio Issues - I'm getting an odd popping sound, which is odd because it's the same popping sound that my Pioneer AVIC unit had in my old camry. This may be related to my phone more than anything else - running beta iOS.
3) Install is nerve racking. Do yourself a favor and use the highest quality and fastest flash you can afford.
4) Update Failure is not the end of your stereo. The update recovery worked for mine perfectly. After trying 3 flash drives, I ended up with a high-speed USB SSD.
5) Audio Quality - Overall, 200% better than using BlueTooth. I can hear things in the music that I could only hear with headphones before. (Audio Plus BTW)
6) You will lose all of your presets, you may want to write them down.
7) You will also lose all of your stereo prefs. None of the vehicle settings will be lost.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bluetooth still works correct? I have an Android phone, I want the update to stay current but will be using Bluetooth (like I am now). Just checking it will still work, just no Car Play.

21 - 40 of 1008 Posts