Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to purchase an ARB front bumper. I have looked at a lot of other bumper replacements and the ARB seems to fit my needs the best. I have a few questions to either ARB owners or other bumper replacement owners. I have a 09 DC LB SR5 with rear TSB all factory down to the 245's. My questions are:
Will I have to add a lift to level the front back out and prevent bottoming out the front end? I was thinking if I did have to upgrade I would go with OME 886's and paired shocks. However in doing that would it raise the front end as to sag the rear? Also, without the OME could I run 265's or would I need to add the OME due to the additional weight of the bumper?
I want to do this logically and in steps to save on blowing the budget all at one time.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just installed a front bumper from Aluminess and due to it's light weight my 2006 dc TRD o/r needed no modification to the suspension. This saved a considerable amount of money and time trying to find the right components that will truly enhance the handling of your vehicle. It really depends on the driving you anticipate doing. If you think you need the suspension upgrade soley to support a heavy bumper, take a look at Aluminess. These people are a pleasure to deal with, make a very high quality product, and the bumper is just heavy enough (50 lbs.) to preload my front suspension so that the end result is my truck handles better. Whether you beef up the suspension or not, their bumper is very strong due to it's heavy plate construction and can handle any demands you have. What ever you do, take your time deciding as you will spend a pretty penny on this upgrade so look at all the options/products out there to minimize buyer's remorse. If you have any questions about my experience with Aluminess I'd be happy to respond:cool:

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you haven't seen it already, this thread is worth taking a look at. In there, it says the ARB bumper weighs in at 153 pounds without a winch! The Aluminess' 50 pounds are impressive in comparison.

I've been curious to know what the stock components you remove to install an aftermarket bumper weigh. It would help put the new bumper weights in perspective.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm estimating the total at around 30 lbs. That includes the bumper cover, bumper reinforcement, tow hook, and related nuts and bolts. Also the Aluminess bumper allows you to retain the factory skid plate. This worked well for me as I use the bumper for urban armor so for a cleaner look my bumper has no brush or bull guard.:cool:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm estimating the total at around 30 lbs. That includes the bumper cover, bumper reinforcement, tow hook, and related nuts and bolts. Also the Aluminess bumper allows you to retain the factory skid plate. This worked well for me as I use the bumper for urban armor so for a cleaner look my bumper has no brush or bull guard.:cool:
With only a 20 pound difference from stock, the Aluminess is sounding better and better, but I looked a their site and the front without the brush guard is $1250! Hopefully, that's list and you can get them cheaper. They look really nice.

·
jorgem2
74 Posts
I have the OME 886 and the matching schocks, I got the toytec lift and it included the springs and a 1/2" spacer. With the ARB and a 12,000 lb mile marker electric winch the front was lifted about 3".
The bumber is probably 100 to 150 lbs and the winch about another 80 lbs.
The OEM bumper and aluminum support I took off weighs about 25-40 lbs.
I am happy with the results but it is a little stiff on the front suspension but still good for offroad trails just not as soft as the original setup.
Bumper was about $850 winch about $550 a couple years ago

·
Registered
125 Posts
No, they're PIAA 540 series, 55 watt, and they're installed to the OEM harness, relay, and switch. Yes the bumper is pricey, but it allowed me to retain the stock suspension, saving money and simplifying the project. Being that my truck rarely goes off the pavement this works well for me. I would like to upgrade to 5100s when my stock Bilsteins require. I am pleased with the bumper and the powdercoat is superlative, also there is a fairly large locking compartment where the winch would go.

·
Registered
48 Posts
No, they're PIAA 540 series, 55 watt, and they're installed to the OEM harness, relay, and switch. Yes the bumper is pricey, but it allowed me to retain the stock suspension, saving money and simplifying the project. Being that my truck rarely goes off the pavement this works well for me. I would like to upgrade to 5100s when my stock Bilsteins require. I am pleased with the bumper and the powdercoat is superlative, also there is a fairly large locking compartment where the winch would go.
Good point. The added cost for the bumper is probably more than balanced out by not having to cough up the cash to upgrade the suspension.

·
Keep On Truckin'
'01 Tacoma PreRunner
45 Posts
I've seen WetOne's bumper installation in person and it is totally awesome.
The craftsmanship is fantastic !
:thumbsup:

·
Supercharged '07 DC 4x4
890 Posts
I am wanting to purchase an ARB front bumper. I have looked at a lot of other bumper replacements and the ARB seems to fit my needs the best. I have a few questions to either ARB owners or other bumper replacement owners. I have a 09 DC LB SR5 with rear TSB all factory down to the 245's. My questions are:
Will I have to add a lift to level the front back out and prevent bottoming out the front end? I was thinking if I did have to upgrade I would go with OME 886's and paired shocks. However in doing that would it raise the front end as to sag the rear? Also, without the OME could I run 265's or would I need to add the OME due to the additional weight of the bumper?
I want to do this logically and in steps to save on blowing the budget all at one time.
I say you are going to need heavier coils to compensate for the weight of an ARB bumper. Even more so if you are putting in a winch. Click on my signature link to see my trials and tribulations after I put my ARB bumper on. You don't need to worry about rear sag.

·
Registered
2006 Toyota Tacoma
96 Posts
I installed my ARB at the same time as my OME setup with 886 coils. I love the bumper and it has proved itself against deer at 80 kph.

It's heavy, but I don't think its 150+ pounds heavy.

·
Slightly Insane
888 Posts
I love the looks of these bumpers but I don't have a 4x4 and the only time I leave the pavement is the mile long graveled road I take to get home. Would it be silly to outfit my truck with this stuff or would I just be a poser??

·
Registered
125 Posts
I love the looks of these bumpers but I don't have a 4x4 and the only time I leave the pavement is the mile long graveled road I take to get home. Would it be silly to outfit my truck with this stuff or would I just be a poser??
In my case I had some damage to my front bumper and was not too excited about the cost of going back to that flimsy set up. So it was a wash for me to upgrade to the Aluminess bumper. I too have a 2x4 (dc TRD offroad) and only occasionally go off the pavement. I like the added protection for the crazy traffic conditions you encounter in central Florida and the aggresive looks don't hurt either. As I said earlier without suspension upgrades the weight of this bumper preloads my TRD suspension just enough that my truck handles and rides more controlled. I would'nt have wanted to do the heavier springs, shocks, etc. that you need for a heavier setup as my driving conditions don't require it. Not to mention If you don't do your homework and buy the proper components you may actually degrade your truck. I would'nt worry about posing, It's your truck do what you like. That's what makes it special to you.:cool:

·
Registered
2006 Toyota Tacoma
96 Posts
I wouldn't say you're "posing" at all. The bumper offers a significant increase in protection from animal impacts, small vehicle collisions, etc. I didn't get my bumper to go off roading, I got it to handle the wildlife I encounter on my drive to work.

·
Supercharged '07 DC 4x4
890 Posts
In my case I had some damage to my front bumper and was not too excited about the cost of going back to that flimsy set up.
I broke my bumper in the Utah desert and ended up putting it in the garbage in 3 pieces. I got my current bumper, winch and lights (3 months old) from another TN user for about the same as I could replace my plastic OEM bumper! I feel you on replacing the OEM parts.

·
Registered
2008 Taco 4x4 DC TRD
17 Posts
I ran an ARB (W/o winch) with a stock suspension for 12 months. No issues with from suspension sag or bottoming out.
I have a SAW lift and all is great.

As far as daily driving with an ARB if you dont off-road ~ I 'tapped' a corolla last month: $2500 damage to the car...only a bent license plate on my Taco. I love my Taco

1 - 19 of 19 Posts