Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Post any aftermarket brand parts that have been reliable.

Back in the '80s I used to work in an auto parts store, and most all of the parts we sold were reliable, except for the local re-built stuff, ie starters, and alternators.

After a few years of working there in auto parts I got to know the problem parts, ie Quaker oil, AC spark plugs, etc, but by, and large parts made by Standard Ignition, Moog suspension, Sealed Power, TRW, etc were good solid replacement parts.

Now I hear a lot of parts from the local parts stores are usually junk, and while I've had pretty good luck so far over the years using replacement parts from the local parts store I just wondered if any of you guys know any known bad aftermarket parts brands.

I've gotten out of the repair industry to a degree, and now just buy/sell cars, so if it can wait I usually buy stuff from Rockauto as, even with my local stores discount, as its much cheaper. [I hate not to buy/support the local parts stores, but sometimes the parts are over 50% of what I can get the SAME parts at RA].

If we don't have a thread like this yet here on this site, why not just sticky this thread as the good/bad aftermarket parts.

OEM stuff [if you can still find OEM parts for some of these older cars] is sometimes triple the cost of an equally good aftermarket part. Also, if you're driving an old [like me 1993]car that is only worth around $2k it doesn't make much sense to buy a $500 OEM part if you can find a well made aftermarket part for way less money.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually, I can offer one parts line that is, well hit/miss, and that is the "Duralast" line from Autozone.

I've bought a few parts over the years, and Duralast from what I've found is kind of hit, or miss as far as quality goes [I suspect the Duralast line is made from several different vendors, hence the variations in quality].

Felpro gaskets seem to still hold up well.

Wix filters are still good to go.

NGK good.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,969 Posts
Ugh, AutoZone Don'tLast parts.

I've had good luck with NAPA store brand products...usually the more knowledgeable employees there can tell you who the OEM for those are. For our cars, they end up being nice Japanese suppliers more often than not. Honestly, after establishing a relationship with the NAPA 1000 ft down the street, the only reason I drop by AutoZone or O'reilly's is to recycle oil.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Made in China usually = crap.

I'll go with Rock Auto first and try to buy brands I know had (hopefully still have ) a quality product. I always check OEM depending on the application they can be the best choice, unless you want to use wingnuts to install them so you can replace the replacement quickly with no tools.

I think Taiwan and Korean made parts are probably good but it really depends on how much labor the install takes. For example if I was replacing the main bearings they would be OEM. Timing parts OEM. Clutch parts preferably a name brand with good customer reviews.

I solved my replacement parts issues with a parts car, hit in the rear (totalled) with 177k miles, right now I have $73.75 in the parts car after selling $200 worth of parts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Made in China usually = crap.

I'll go with Rock Auto first and try to buy brands I know had (hopefully still have ) a quality product. I always check OEM depending on the application they can be the best choice, unless you want to use wingnuts to install them so you can replace the replacement quickly with no tools.

I think Taiwan and Korean made parts are probably good but it really depends on how much labor the install takes. For example if I was replacing the main bearings they would be OEM. Timing parts OEM. Clutch parts preferably a name brand with good customer reviews.

I solved my replacement parts issues with a parts car, hit in the rear (totalled) with 177k miles, right now I have $73.75 in the parts car after selling $200 worth of parts.
Having an extra, running parts car is a great idea for a car you plan to keep a long time as when you have a problem, after you narrow it down, all you have to do is pull a related part on the running parts car, and check if it fixes the problem. If it does fix the problem just order the same part new, and put the known good part back on the parts car.

Going OEM is fine if you have the money, but many here who obviously are driving a older car may not want to spend triple the price for OEM IF they can buy something just as good for less money.

I've build many engines, and I use King bearings as they are better than most OEM rod, main, or cam bearings. For timing parts I buy Cloyes as I use them in all of my high performance engines, of which a couple are making north of 1k hp. So I know Cloyes should hold up fine in my daily driven stock cars [I've got the whole Cloyes timing kit for my Nissan V6]

So, let me say again the purpose of this thread is to name the good aftermarket parts that YOU, YOURSELF have found to be good, not what you've heard someone else say.

If someone likes to buy only OEM that is fine. As we know OEM is great if you have the money, so there shouldn't be a need to post page after page of people saying buy only OEM, or a debate on OEM vs aftermarket.

Just post what AFTERMARKET parts YOU have used on your vehicles, and which brands held up, and which brands do we need to stay away from. I agree that most China made parts are just junk, but there are some that work just fine, which is why we need this thread to tell us the good from the bad.

I'll use my own car for this example. While installing an engine I just rebuilt on my Nissan [V6] I broke a power steering solenoid. I thought no big deal as it couldn't cost that much even from the dealer, right? WRONG!!!! The frigging thing was over $100 shipping, and all. I bought an Ebay cheap part for under $10, and its been doing just fine for over two years.
https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/nissan-sensor-assy-pressure-power-steering~49763-6n200.html?Make=Nissan&Model=Altima&Year=2006&Submodel=&Filter=()&Location=power-steering-piping,,49763

For example has anyone used any ignition parts made by Standard Ignition lately? They used to be a great company back in the '80s, and '90s, but I haven't used them in a while so I don't know if Standard Ignition still the same quality parts makers as they were.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
So, let me say again the purpose of this thread is to name the good aftermarket parts that YOU, YOURSELF have found to be good, not what you've heard someone else say.
I don't think you can always know just by the brand name, especially if it is something like Duralast, which is nothing more than the house brand for Autozone where they get other companies to make the parts for them. Same with several auto supply stores.

In addition a particular brand may have more than one quality. For Duralast batteries, typically there are silver, gold, and platinum batteries, none actually made by Autozone, and all are different quality.

Even when you get into brands like Wix filters, not all Wix branded filters are made by Wix, especially the low volume ones. But probably Wix does make all the Toyota filters they sell. Also Wix was bought out in 2016 by Mann+Hummel, a global filtration company based in Germany, but with manufacturing in many locations around the world.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are some good after market ignition parts?

Those seem to be the sticky wicket, as OEM [and even aftermarket] ignition parts, and sensors can cost a fortune.

Like I said before, Standard Ignition used to have a great reputation back in the day, but I don't even know if they are still made in the USA. [ie a lot of good named USA made parts companies have been bought out by Chinese companies who still use the known name. ]

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think you can always know just by the brand name, especially if it is something like Duralast, which is nothing more than the house brand for Autozone where they get other companies to make the parts for them. Same with several auto supply stores.

In addition a particular brand may have more than one quality. For Duralast batteries, typically there are silver, gold, and platinum batteries, none actually made by Autozone, and all are different quality.

Even when you get into brands like Wix filters, not all Wix branded filters are made by Wix, especially the low volume ones. But probably Wix does make all the Toyota filters they sell. Also Wix was bought out in 2016 by Mann+Hummel, a global filtration company based in Germany, but with manufacturing in many locations around the world.

Actually I mentioned that already, and agree.

Actually, I can offer one parts line that is, well hit/miss, and that is the "Duralast" line from Autozone.

I've bought a few parts over the years, and Duralast from what I've found is kind of hit, or miss as far as quality goes [I suspect the Duralast line is made from several different vendors, hence the variations in quality].

Felpro gaskets seem to still hold up well.

Wix filters are still good to go.

NGK good.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts

Actually I mentioned that already, and agree.
OK, but even if they use the same supplier, a part may come in different levels of quality. I am pretty sure that Duralast Silver, Gold, and Platinum batteries all are made by Johnson Controls (one of only about three battery manufacturers in North America).

This leads to another related topic (but slightly off-topic from this thread), which is when people start talking about oil filter brands. Several brands have more than one level of quality, and Fram (the filter brand most bashed on the Internet) has three different levels of quality for many oil filters, the best of which is quite good. But regardless, people just talk about Fram as if the only have one filter quality (the cheapest one), and as if they make 100% of the filters they sell (they don't).

In the post-industrial age of the 21st century, with global manufacturing, contract manufacturing, the trend toward mergers and consolidations, etc, "brands" don't mean as much as they used to.

·
☻Black Member
1,427 Posts
- OEM parts are best
- Aftermarket is assorted crap from China

- Good, cheap, aftermarket... you cannot have all 3, remove one

- It might be human nature to seek a 'bargain', but logic, experience, and intelligence says 'you get what you pay for' (generally)

- I drive a 1995 Camry with 350,000 miles and it only gets OEM parts... I love looking at the "Mitsubishi" logo on the timing belt and not worrying about a thing versus being worried about it being infected with Duracrap fleas...

:)

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,809 Posts
- OEM parts are best

- It might be human nature to seek a 'bargain', but logic, experience, and intelligence says 'you get what you pay for' (generally)

- I drive a 1995 Camry with 350,000 miles and it only gets OEM parts... I love looking at the "Mitsubishi" logo on the timing belt and not worrying about a thing versus being worried about it being infected with Duracrap fleas...

Man, first it’s mitsuboshi. Second, your beloved Camry is only worth $1k tops. So you get what you paid for doesn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
828 Posts

Those seem to be the sticky wicket, as OEM [and even aftermarket] ignition parts, and sensors can cost a fortune.

Like I said before, Standard Ignition used to have a great reputation back in the day, but I don't even know if they are still made in the USA. [ie a lot of good named USA made parts companies have been bought out by Chinese companies who still use the known name. ]
SMP Corp is a global concern, with manufacturing facilities in North America, Europe, and Asia. Their facilities are ISO certified, products are primarily marketed under the "Standard Ignition" and "InterMotor" brands here in the US.

I would / have purchased their products, over other "house branded" parts, without hesitation.

·
Super Moderator
12,871 Posts

Spark plugs: NGK or Denso
Plug wires: NGK or Sumitomo
Ignition coils: NGK or Denso

Distributor: They all suck.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,969 Posts
Spark plugs: NGK or Denso
Plug wires: NGK or Sumitomo
Ignition coils: NGK or Denso

Distributor: They all suck.

Also NGK wires >>>>> Sumitomo, the OEM Sumi wires always have the insulation falling off from what I see

First thing I do when I get a Camry is pull the plugs. If I see "Autolite" or "Champion" I go over the rest of the car with a fine-toothed comb.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
- OEM parts are best

Man, first it’s mitsuboshi. Second, your beloved Camry is only worth $1k tops. So you get what you paid for doesn’t work.
I totally agree with you qqzj, and he didn't list any aftermarket parts he actually tried on his $1000 Toyota that didn't work. Again, this isn't an OEM VS AFTERMARKET PARTS THREAD! If you like/love OEM parts, and want to pay the price for them [IF YOU CAN STILL FIND THEM} that is great, just please don't post about it in this thread, thanks.

There comes a point where, like I mentioned above, that you simply can't find the OEM part you need as nobody has it for sale. So you will at some point have to buy aftermarket. Hell, if I were to try to buy all OEM parts for my 65 Mustang I would go broke.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all of the replies, now back on topic.

I just received my new IAC valve today from Airtex. I bought it from Rockauto [RA from here on] for around $100. RA did have the same part in Standard Ignition, but it cost $40 more.

Since I've just spent around $200 on parts for this, and other cars, that $40 difference is a BIG difference at least to me, and this time.

I will update this post in the future if there is a problem with it. [I've got the thread saved in my bookmarks under the Toyota, then sub category Camry folder].

Here are pics of the OEM, and Airtex IAC side by side. I've cleaned my oem IAC twice now by soaking the mechanical part in paint thinner twice, and the little cylinder moves very freely. However, on the new part the I can feel the cylinder feels tighter when trying to move it, vs the OEM part.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,809 Posts
Another approach is that you can search Craigslist or OfferUp if you live in or near a big city. People sell all kinds of weird stuff. For example, the IAC valve New OEM one is selling for $80 now at SF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
PAGE TOYOTA, INC.
2009 SCION XB
4 Posts
Ever tried parts from WELLS VEHICLE ELECTRONICS? Any time I have needed any electronic components for my vehicles I have and found that 90% of the parts are Genuine OEM. The company also manufacturers many other electronic auto parts of high quality, in house, here in the USA in Fond Du Lac, WI. Ask your local auto parts retailers if parts from WELLS are available whenever you need electronics. And before you ask, I do not work for the company. This is just my personal opinion. They also sell and manufacture many fuel system components.

·
Registered
1995 LE
2,330 Posts
I totally agree with you qqzj, and he didn't list any aftermarket parts he actually tried on his $1000 Toyota that didn't work. Again, this isn't an OEM VS AFTERMARKET PARTS THREAD! If you like/love OEM parts, and want to pay the price for them [IF YOU CAN STILL FIND THEM} that is great, just please don't post about it in this thread, thanks.

OEM parts are still very much available from one of our site vendors. There are also overseas options as well. The very few parts that I have ever needed have been replaced with OEM. True the tax value for my Camry is $980.00, but they routinely sell for $2500.00 - $3500.00 around here if they is in good condition.

W95c

1 - 20 of 51 Posts