Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Found this name
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read some very good reviews of the whole Camry range (mk1, mk2 etc) and i was wondering if they are really that good?

Im particularly interested in the 3.0 V6 Auto 1997 model, i can find a few on ebay for around £1500 and insurance costs are the same as my 1.8 Ford Mondeo. :cool:

Whats your opinions on the mk2 Camry?

:dunno:

·
Registered
376 Posts
if u want speed, performance, camrys are hard to mod. if u get that one ur looking at, ur gonna have to do a manual swap (well if ur really serious about performance)
but other than that... its a confortable family car... and the 1997 is the second to last generation of the small camrys (the 2001 looks like ass)

but then once u do the whole suspension, it'll feel... well.. like a true sports car =D
and yeah. very reliable. cause well its a camry haha
but then again i'm bious so u want some more unbios upinions

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
If you jsut plan on driving it for everyday use then yes it is a great car. fairly inexpensive to repair when they do break down. good safety ratings, comfortable overall daily driver. The V6 makes it much better than the I4. It at least can get out of its own way. If you are wanting something you can go crazy with modding and all taht then it may not be the best choice for you. There is not a lot of aftermarket support for the Cmary so most everything has to be custom done.

·
Iron Chef IV
730 Posts
I think my 4cly can get out of its way. There is a big hill by SLO. My Previa can barely creep up that, my friend's Jetta can max out at 60mph. If I slip my Camry out of OD and floor it, I can maintain speed of around 100.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
well taht was not literally. YEs they can get out of their own way but the V6 is so much nicer. Also the Gen5 with the 2az or whatever engine it is is better thant he previous 5SFE.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
^Yep. I'm getting pretty nice output from my 2AZ. Its not a v6, and I'd love to have a 1MZ or 3MZ, but I'm totally content with it, and down the road, if I force induce, there's plenty of room in the engine bay.

·
Man on a mission...
635 Posts
They're great, though I don't think you can lose with either the Mondeo or the Camry.

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,564 Posts
yeahh. i've got the 1MZ. I'd love to have the 3MZ =D

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
I work on cars for a living and otherwise, have for 30 years. It gets old working on your own car and you haveto get to work the next day, and cant get parts its a sunday etc. After having nissans, chevies, plymouths, VW, (the worst!) i got TWO camrys 1 for my wive. They last and theyre the most reliable car out there. Too bad theyre putting Ford almost out of business but hey, my money doesnt grow on a tree, im getting the best car for the money that causes me the least grief! To me, Toy is da bomb!~

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
Are Toyota's as good as they sound? Well, mine don't make much noise but I'm very happy with them. '91 truck 200K, '92 Camry 236K, and '01 Camry 60K. All with no major work done. (No engine/trans rebuilds or replacements.)

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Camry's are good cars if you want them as a reliable form of transportation.

If you're looking at it for other reasons, I'd probably steer torwards another direction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts