Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 non-turbo but am doing a swap this winter and what to buy a exhaust now.

Does the downpipe end up in the same location as turbo and non-turbo cars?

If so than I would assme that any exhaust after the downpipe would fit either version.

I am new the MR2 thing. I have been in the 240 scene for a while and want to start a new project. I love my MR2 so far. I just need about 150 -200 more hp.

Thanks
Steve

·
I love Cin
91 Turbo MR2
2,312 Posts
From the factory, both the turbo and non-turbo MR2 have a PRIMARY CAT, not a downpipe.
The Primary cat ends at the same location on both cars.

From there back, they both have a "B-pipe" and then the muffler section.
They both use all of the same mounting locations; however, there is one big difference.

The turbos have a 2nd cat in the b-pipe which makes that section a little longer.

As long as what you buy, starts from the bottom of the primary cat and goes all the way to the back of the car, you should not have any problems.

·
sargdesigns
2,497 Posts
What Hyde said! ;) Good luck with the swap, why have you decided to swap insted of sell? Most people end up finding out that it is much easier/cheaper/less of a headache to sell their N/A's and then buy a turbo...

·
I hate 5SFEs
1993 MR2 - V6
61 Posts
Hey now... all 5SFE MR2s deserve to have that p.o.s. ripped out and replaced. They might not be stock turbos, but they're still MR2s and deserve some love and the gift of sportscar power ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for exhaust info, guys.

From what I have read so far, it doesnt seem like it is that big of a deal to go from nonturbo to turbo. Just regular engine components like ecu, mafs, ingnitor, ect.. and axles from a turbo MR2, US or JDM.
I still have a lot more researching to do but the only thing is the small space of the engine compartment.

Do you guys usually drop the engine from under the car or pull it out the top. It looks like there might be enough room from above but I was just curious.

THANKS

Steve

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
SteveH said:
Thanks for exhaust info, guys.

From what I have read so far, it doesnt seem like it is that big of a deal to go from nonturbo to turbo. Just regular engine components like ecu, mafs, ingnitor, ect.. and axles from a turbo MR2, US or JDM.
I still have a lot more researching to do but the only thing is the small space of the engine compartment.

Do you guys usually drop the engine from under the car or pull it out the top. It looks like there might be enough room from above but I was just curious.

THANKS

Steve
Drop it out from the bottom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts