Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
rookie
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the day my sister had a 94' 4runner and I remember in the winter, the speedometer cable , at random, would sound like a castrated rooster with a kazoo-beak. I noticed my speedometer cable while it doesnt sound like a castrated rooster with a kazoo-beak, was giving me some noise on the freeway. anyone?

·
Tercel95
95 Tercel
12 Posts
My Tercel speedometer cable made tons of noise in the winter and the needle jumped around like crazy. It stopped after I had the clutch replaced and dropped the transmission.

·
Yotaspeed
53 Posts
Mine does it too, mainly just when its cold out.

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
yea. very common. both of my cressidas do under about 25 mph. no small contributing factor probably has to do with being old and not recently lubricated

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
Yeah, it sux to be old and unlubricated....:sosad: :eek:

·
Offical Truck Nut
1990 Toyota
428 Posts
Mine did until I greased it , all you have to do is unscrew it from the tranny and pull the cable out of the casing, throw some grease on it and slide it back in , for us guys this should'nt be a problem .

·
Best pickup made.
91 2WD, '09 Yaris
15 Posts
If you let it go too long and only grease the part that goes into the back of the speedo, something eventually breaks, and you don't put anymore miles on your pickup. I'm too scared to find out what broke, though. Anybody know? Some turd told me that I should just grease it in the dash and it would go away. I hope my speedo isn't trashed.

·
Offical Truck Nut
1990 Toyota
428 Posts
cable broke , $20.00 at advance

·
Best pickup made.
91 2WD, '09 Yaris
15 Posts
For serious? Just the cable? That's awesome. I already got one on the off chance that it's all I need. $10 form T.A.P.Recycling. Do I just unhook it from the tranny and get the old one out and slide the new one in? Obviously, if it broke, there'll be 2 pieces in there, so I'll prob. have to get in the dash, too. Any advice?

That'd be good, cuz my insurance company is having a hard time believing that my mileage hasn't changed in 2 years. I'm a bit of a procrastinator, you see.

·
Offical Truck Nut
1990 Toyota
428 Posts
trialsdork

All you have to do is remove your cluster and unplug the speedometer cable then get under the truck and unscrew it from the tranny, then you can remove it . (the cable inside is what is in two pieces not the casing) do the reverse to install. I would recomend that you pull the cable out of your new casing and grease it before reinstalling .

·
Best pickup made.
91 2WD, '09 Yaris
15 Posts
1bad2WD

Thank you very much. You're a helpful. person. I assume you have done this before. I appreciate your help, and may be asking you a question again. It all sounds like something I can handle, I have been behind the cluster before, I have never really removed it, but you can get to it pretty well by just moving it forward and I assume that that's all I'll need to do. The tranny connection looks pretty straightforward, so when it warms up a little, I'll tackle it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts