Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously, doing anything like this is not GOOD for the car, but would, say a three second tire spin really harm the mechanical parts of the car?

My tires are pretty sticky, and even with my car (see sig), a 3k clutch drop to accelerate fast will not break the tires free.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Yes and no.

The burnout itself doesn't hurt the driveline. Once the tires are spinning, there is very little stress on the driveline. The driveline damage is done when there IS traction.

Inversly, the engine damage comes from the normally high RPM associated with large burnouts.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Yup, dropping the clutch will wear it out quicker. But you have a V6, just floor it and you'll spin the tires. I know I do :)

But yeah, expect to buy a new clutch if you do that a lot.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The clutch is a wear part - and I will replace it in the next 3 months.

Seriously, with my Falkens (remember my car is a stick), there is so much traction, it is hard to make them break free.

For fun, I will haul ass away from a stoplight late at night, and even a fairly hard 3,000 RPM launch will not even make them chirp.

·
Registered
785 Posts
what about on an auto matic..... hold the gas, then put the rpms around 2500-3000rpms, then let off the brake and floor it? how much damage could that do? i've done it once on my 96 camry le.... it huh, grabbed very very hard, i havent ever had it push my head into the head rest like that before....

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
With an Auto it won't do much of anything. Your torque converter will take car of it, and your brakes won't be getting strained. Just tire wear :)

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Too high and it will. but 3,000RPM is nothing for the torque converter. But like anything, after a while it's going to wear on it. So I wouldn't suggest doing it a lot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i was doing a burn out for like 1 min on my 87 teg with 263k miles at 6500rpm... compression still good across... pretty much my beater car, what the hell...

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
MadDawg it can if you power brake for too long.

Power braking send the tempature of the transmission fluid through the roof. That's why you shouldn't do it for very long.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,706 Posts
Burnouts are never good for your car. Except when you convert it into a drag machine. :D

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
SmokingTiresV6 said:
But you have a V6, just floor it and you'll spin the tires. I know I do :)
Probably because you have the hardest tires I have ever seen... in my whole life. 740 treadwear :eek:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn, 740 treadware is pretty scary!

My tires are 'preformance' tires and have no treadlife warranty/rating - when they wear out, you buy new ones.

But it really is worth it - the car is a beast with these tires.

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
What do you mean they don't have a rating? Unless they're non DOT race tires, they should have a rating. Even Hoosiers have a treadwear rating, although it's only around 40, but still.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine are like 150-200 IIRC - but they don't have that '70,000 Mile' stuff - no treadware warranty as they are designed to be used hard.

I have had them for ~6,000 miles and they are visibly worn a little. I don't drive much, so they will probably last no less than three years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts