Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an Alpine 9827 and cant handle how bright it is at night. I guess I have sensitive eyes. Before purchasing the Alpine, I also looked at Clarion 645MP and also a Pioneer.

Are there any HU's that the brightness can actually be controled by the cars dimmer?

I find the Alpine so anoying that I have even been considering going back with a factory HU. The Alpine is supposed to dim with it gets a signal that the lights are via the orange wire but all that dims on mine is the blue buttons and the difference it extremely minimal.

Thanks

·
Registered
Highlander
1,473 Posts
IIRC, there is/was only a handful of units that allowed continuous dimming features. Those units have an extra wire on their harnesses to connect to a dimmer ground on the adapter harness. Why aftermarket manufacturers don't design this feature? Because it costs too much, more parts would be needed, and it's simpler just to dim it at one setting.

Most units have contrast adjustments which will allow for some brightness control.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My JVC dims when I turn my lights on its only one setting but it dims quite a bit (enough where if i turn my lights on during the day I cant read the HU)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used a Schouch(sp) Toyota wire converter to hook up the Alpine and I am wondering if the converter is using the factory dimming control wire to try to dim the Alpine. If it is, then it might not be getting enough volts to dim the Alpine properly. If this is the case, then I might need to run a wire from a source that is 12 volts when the lights are on.

Does this make since to anyone?

·
Registered
Highlander
1,473 Posts
You are talking about two different situations, and you have to make SENSE of what you are trying to do. Do you just want to dim the display when the parking lights are on? Or do you want to use the factory dimmer control to adjust the brightness of the display continuously?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Either way would be great. The fact of the matter it that the blue buttons and white display are too bright at night....for me anyway. The white(display) is not dimming at all and the blue buttons are only dimming a very small amount when I turned the lights on.

However, I just sold the Alpine. I will probably go with a Clarion 645, 745 or 845 if I decide to go back with an aftermarket receiver.

·
I get angry when Im sober
1,858 Posts
Mine does, Clarion DXZ835MP (last years model). Use the negative dimmer from the cd player with the only dimmer wire from the car side.

·
I get angry when Im sober
1,858 Posts
Luc said:
You are talking about two different situations, and you have to make SENSE of what you are trying to do. Do you just want to dim the display when the parking lights are on? Or do you want to use the factory dimmer control to adjust the brightness of the display continuously?
I can actually do both.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is great to know. Thanks Stealth. Soon after I ordered the Alpine, I wished I had ordered the Clarion because of its variable color display.

Things are slow at work and money is a little tight at the moment. So, I am going back with my stock CD/cass. I have no amp/s so there is no problem with having to mess with converters.

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
i have the clarion drx9575z and it really doesn't dim whe nI adjust the contrast, the shmucks who installed it didn't even bother with the lights on feature, so I too am stuck with a very bright HU at night

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is unstatisfactory from what that shop probably calls a "professional installation". I would have them fix that....especially if it bothers you.

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
i agree, and I defintely paid enough for them to do it right, but alas, that was when I was younger and more easily led, and 326 miles from where I am now at school. I've learned to live with it. At least it's a nice HU

1 - 13 of 13 Posts