Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
18,000 miles and they are 2/3 shot, they hydroplaned since new, they suck in the snow, I can't wait until these things are completely toast!

Just venting as I look out at 5" of snow, now it's freezing rain, either way my truck won't go for crap! I almost killed myself this morning after I slid for 1 1/2 blocks down off of my hill.....fortunately it went straight and I didn't hit anything!

I had Wrangler RTS on my last truck, 3 sets in 127,000 miles, looks like I'll be getting a 4th set soon...

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
HotRod53 said:
18,000 miles and they are 2/3 shot, they hydroplaned since new, they suck in the snow, I can't wait until these things are completely toast!

Just venting as I look out at 5" of snow, now it's freezing rain, either way my truck won't go for crap! I almost killed myself this morning after I slid for 1 1/2 blocks down off of my hill.....fortunately it went straight and I didn't hit anything!

I had Wrangler RTS on my last truck, 3 sets in 127,000 miles, looks like I'll be getting a 4th set soon...
Yep its been talked about again and again
But you are correct. replace them tires as soon as you can afford to. I picked up some yokohoma geolander AT II's for 400$ shiped from discounttiredirect.com ( I think thats it)

The revos and BGF AT's are great alternatives too if you can afford them.

be carefull. The snow is supposed to start falling tonight. :clap:

·
Registered
370 Posts
yes they are. im loving my all terrains.. i burned my rugged trails in an effort to lure the others from the other side of the island

·
Spanky!
329 Posts
here here now you guys.... look at the bright side, they look cute on our trucks . i mean come on, thats what we're going for right? :lol:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Stock bfg's totally $uck. Soon to get AT's. Gonna git the 265 75's

·
Registered
05 Tacoma DC
319 Posts
Everytime I see one of these threads I wonder how everyone is driving. I've got the stock BFG Rugged Trails on my truck and I'm just now getting down to the wear bars after 40,000 miles. I definitely will be switching to a different tire though but 18,000 miles and 2/3 shot already... damn talk about putting your foot into it.

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Tacoma
232 Posts
Yea I'm not sure what the big deal is either. Frankly, these BFG Dueler H/T's are the best tires I've ever owned. Just a bunch of tire snobs. :rolleyes: I've hit 30,500 and I'll get at least another 10K out of them. Granted I'm going to go with different ones when I wear these out, but that's just cos I want some knobbier A/T's - prolly gonna get Nitto Terra Grapplers. Of course you can take my comments about liking these tires with a grain of salt. We get snow 1-2x a year (sometimes ice instead of snow) and plenty of rain. I've never gotten stuck and don't have a chronic slip n' slide problem like everyone bitches about. Again...how are you driving? Also, on every vehicle I've ever owned I've simply installed the cheapest tire Wal-Mart has in stock at the moment, what is that, Uniroyals? Can't remember, something generic...

Anyhow, they ain't all that bad in my experience, I like em just fine.

·
Registered
231 Posts
j4x4ar3 said:
Everytime I see one of these threads I wonder how everyone is driving. I've got the stock BFG Rugged Trails on my truck .
Go drive with them in a foot of snow.

I've lived here in Colorado since 1972 and i can tell you. These are the first and only tires I have ever had that when doing about 7 or so Miles an hr and turning into a parking lot I go straight with 4 wheel drive engaged..

The problem with the rugged trails is that they are not meant for snow driving and as far as I am concerned should not be put on trucks that are gonna be sold in area'a that get snow IMHO. Their dread design will not allow for snow to clear thus leaving you to drive on ski's.

·
Dressed N Black
352 Posts
Rugged Trails suck where I live in NE Nevada, bought a set of Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor and they are the best tires I have owned. They seem to last longer then BFGoodrich AT I had on my previous truck.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well I guess we could settle this problem by finding out which tire cost the most. For the same stock size tire. I don't think they sell rugged trails out in town just in stealerships.

·
My Other Truck
4,263 Posts
DaleD said:
Go drive with them in a foot of snow.
And it doesn't even need to be that deep. We've had a very mild winter with almost no snow. With about 16K easy miles on my Rugged Trails (and still looking great), I got in about 4 - 5 inches of heavy wet snow, then stopped on near-level ground and put it in low range. Would not move forward. Locked the diff, still would not move. Amazing! In 40 years of driving, with snow most winters (sometimes quite a lot) , and owning at least one 4WD (currently at three) for 30 years, I had never experienced anything like this. BTW I wasn't stuck; I backed up a few inches and drove ahead with no problem. I just wanted to see if I could push ahead against the stuff that had built up in front of the tires.

I don't blame the truck; it's the tires. IMO, they really are not that bad on the highway, wet or dry. But they are not at all good in snow. Dunno what I'll eventually replace them with -- I am considering BFG A/T, Revo, Geolander, and some that Schwab has (can't remember what they are called).

·
Banned
1,301 Posts

Almost 50K on my ruggeds . . . time to change em out . . .

Still on the fence about getting a new CrewMax, but the gas mileage is a joke!

·
My Other Truck
4,263 Posts
robsatx said:
Still on the fence about getting a new CrewMax, but the gas mileage is a joke!
Well, sure... it's a big, heavy truck with a big, powerful engine. Sure looks great, though -- make mine a Doublecab, please.

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well... there gone, no more BFGs for my Taco! I put on some Wrangler RT/S, I had good luck in the past with these so I went with them again. First impression..... what a difference in how smooth they ride and how much quieter my truck is! I guess Rugged Trail really means rugged ride and rugged noise! I forgot what it was like to look at my tires and see tread...BFG...GOOD RIDDENS!

·
Registered
07 Taco DC OR
502 Posts
My 07 on has 1700 miles and I'm not too thrilled about the tread depth on the stockers. My 00 has about 35k on the ProComp A/Ts and there's more tread depth on the PCs! I loved my PC A/Ts, they rock in the rain!

·
Registered
2005 tacoma trd
866 Posts
Major shit i have Toyo At now seem alot better and great in the corners no pushing now

·
Registered
46 Posts
the rugged trails that came on my truck have been stellar. I do not live in a snowy climate but in the mud they have done good and look like I will be getting about 60k out of mine. also they are the smoothest tire I have ever run.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts