Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my '04 Camry to a nearby dealership for 30,000 mile service and, towards the end of the service, was told about a few problems with my car that they believed required immediate attention.

They are:
small leak in the power steering hose/line
power steering flush
front control arm replacement.

The estimates for these repairs were over $1,600, so I told them I would not go ahead with those repairs for now.

Do these issues sound legitimate for a 6-year-old car with a relatively low mileage on it?

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
Did he show you where the leaks are coming from? Did he show you why you need the control arm replaced? Or are you just trusting him on good faith that he's telling you the truth? The power steering fluid needs to be changed out every 2 years or so regardless mileage.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
I've seen a few posts in here about lower control arm replacements but I don't think anybody was replacing them at low mileage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did he show you where the leaks are coming from? Did he show you why you need the control arm replaced? Or are you just trusting him on good faith that he's telling you the truth? The power steering fluid needs to be changed out every 2 years or so regardless mileage.
I found the box that contain all the invoices from past services, and my Camry had its power steering fluid flushed (at a different dealer) during its 20,000 mile service in March of last year.

Ok, it's been about an year and a half but my car has run only about 10,000 miles since. Is a power steering flush warranted under such circumstances, or were these guys trying to do me in?

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
They are just trying to upsell the ticket. If you already had it done, it doesn't need doing again.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Did they actually say what was wrong with the control arm? I also agree you should have them show you the leak and show you the control arm. If it really needs fixing, they won't have any issue show it to you. And don't rule out them purposely "spilling" a little PS fluid to make it look like you have a leak. Or, perhaps if you want to be like me and think positively, they could be mistaking a spill for a leak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts