Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Toyota Highlander. Is it possible to get these upgrades without massive amounts of money.
1. Have the outside mirrors detects cars in blind spot when turning

2. have the trunk automatically open and close

3. keyless entry and start

4. Have the car not turn off in drive

·
Registered
152 Posts
What trim level do you have? That can make a difference here.

From working in the automotive aftermarket for 27 years, here's what I can tell you:

If you have power door locks already, then keyless entry and remote start is available from any auto accessories shop or car stereo shop, as well as BestBuy, etc. A good unit will run you around $250 and up installed. Do NOT buy one online and hope to get it installed locally, and don't try to install this yourself unless you've got a lot of 12-volt experience on late-model vehicles.

Some HL come with a remote start function. Get within 30 feet of it and
  1. Press the LOCK button on the remote.
  2. Press the LOCK button a second time within 1 second.
  3. Press the LOCK button again, this time holding it for 3 seconds. The engine will start.
If you have it preinstalled, this is what starts it.

As far as the trunk "automatically" opening and closing, that depends on your definition of automatic. If you mean at the push of a button using a key fob, you "might" be able to get that added as an option when you have the remote start installed, but your HL has to have a power open/close function already. Meaning, you have to already have a push-button (electronic) open/close. If you have to pull a lever (mechanical, not electric) like when you pop the hood, then no, this would be a major upgrade with a big price tag to go with it.

For BLIS (Blind Spot Info System), it's cheaper to get a car that has it already integrated into it (Highlander Limited Platinum/technology package, etc.). You can get it in the aftermarket but it's very much a specialty item and they haven't been around in the aftermarket as long as remote starts, so there aren't very many "experts" at this. And don't expect it to function like the OEM version. It won't. BrandMotion is one of the manufacturers of this setup and there are a few others. It's a big installation and requires a lot to install. Expect a 4-digit price tag or close to it.

For the car not turning off while in drive watch this video ->
It's for a 2017 so I'm not sure if it's the same on 2019.

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I have to get a different car my old Acura had all those features if you tried during the car off in drive it would auto put it in park or beeep. The trunk opened and closed with a button. Their was navigation. And it handled a lot better

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Go to any auto buying website (KBB.com, edmounds.com, etc.) click on research and compare different vehicles/models to see which model offers the features you want etc. if you want everything that were in your Acura (perhaps a MDX), you may be looking at least the XLE and higher models...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.