Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after the first of the year, if you were buying an SUV, What would you get? American? Which one? Foreign? Which one?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I’d probably ask this on a forum not dedicated to a particular make/model. Pretty sure you’re going to get biased answers here. Not that the Highlander shouldn’t be your choice, but I doubt many will say buy a Ford or whatever.

·
Registered
638 Posts
So after the first of the year, if you were buying an SUV, What would you get? American? Which one? Foreign? Which one?
What’s the significance of the January 1 date? Does something change that would shift someone’s preference?

·
Registered
'18 HL Ltd (SOLD), '19 GMC Acadia Denali, '02 Honda Civic EX
1,014 Posts
What would you get? - Don't know.
American? - Don't know.
Which one? - Don't know.
Foreign? - Don't know.
Which one? - Don't know.

What I do know it is will have AWD/4WD.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The main problem with your question is that it is very vague. It's like I'm going to buy a house next year what should I get? So many variables that should be considered to narrow down the field from the 20+ options in the 3 row SUV category.
How long do you keep your vehicles? Leasing an option? Do you need 3 rows or is 2 enough? Budget? Required options? You see the point. If you figure all that out then you will likely narrow it down to 4-5 options which you need to drive and see how they fit your needs.

I personally loved the new Explorers but I keep my vehicles for a long time and the early reliability reports on it were not favorable. They also cost more than other non-luxury SUVs without a lot to show for the extra cost unless you got the V6 option.

Audi/BMW are nice but expensive after their warranties are up. Acura is the same but lots of cash on the hood because it will have a redesign soon. The Lincoln Navigator is nice but see the same concerns as the explorer. The upcoming Genesis SUV may be a great option if your budget allows but no word on long term reliability. Kia/hyundai have longer warranties but still dont seem to have the reliability of their Japanese counterparts on average.

As I said make a list and then go have some fun on test drives! That's the best part of the shopping experience for me.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Platinum AWD, 2017 Tacoma OR DCLB 4x4
35 Posts
Since I just got a '20 Highlander, if I had to buy a new SUV next year I'd be looking hard at the Bronco. 😈

·
straight cash homie
20,595 Posts
Since I just got a '20 Highlander, if I had to buy a new SUV next year I'd be looking hard at the Bronco. 😈
Highlander is the daily practical logical choice; and the Bronco appeals to the emotional factor and offers a very visceral experience.

·
Registered
638 Posts
,,Paying taxes...Id rather pay taxes on a new car in Jan rather than in 2020
Interesting...does your local jurisdiction collect taxes on a new car for the full calendar year, regardless of when you purchase the vehicle during the year? So if you purchase in December 2020, you’d get hit twice — in December for 2020 and then again in January for 2021?

·
Registered
41 Posts
If my new Highlander Hybrid got totaled and I have to buy a new SUV around January 2021 I would buy another Highlander Hybrid, same color and trim, because my whole family really like out new suv.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m not sure it’s a very broad question and depends what you want but if I was going to get a a American Brand then it would be A Ford Explorer and then for foreign it would be a first a Toyota/Lexus and then Honda/Acura. I hold my cars for a long time so I go reliability and I just think that is what lasts but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
282 Posts
Highlander is the daily practical logical choice; and the Bronco appeals to the emotional factor and offers a very visceral experience.
Agree!

In general, the American is good for up to 8 years with extended warranty. Then near worthless and about to have a big failure (in warranty, several issues will be resolved) Generally speaking by 10 years the American is used up. My conclusion, yours may differ.

Euro similar to American except they tend to drive a lot better, built better and cost a lot better more. The more expensive the version the more it will lose in value by 10-15 years. In 10 years it will really be dated compared to a new one. Older ones can be kept alive if you are willing to deal with all the bs the tech brings with it. If maintained they can keep easy to 20 years but some repairs will be costly. By 20 years the coach work is done unless a real classic which you might refurb. I am too old for that!

I expect my Toyota to be easier to live with even though it is somewhat stodgy compared to the above. I traded sex appeal and features for Toyota sensibility. Time will tell if it is a wise choice.

Future I would look closer at stuff and features. That 2021 XLE has some appeal. But so does a Sprinter camper....go figure. Start looking around now.

·
Registered
2002 Tacoma 4Dr TRD and a 2003 Highlinder V4 AWD. Both vehicles run like new.
3 Posts
Narrow down your needs then start watching youtube videos. I like Scotty Kilmer. He would tell you to stick with Japanese. Toyota or Honda. I am still driving our 2003 Highlander. Drives like it is new. Looks new inside and out. Only has 130K miles so another 20 years left on it. :), Don't drive enough to Justify the Rav4 Prime but would really like to own it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was having the same problem (sort of). I wanted a HL but I wasn't sure if I'd be happier with the Honda equivalent. So I turned to Consumer Reports (2018). That particular year HL was No.1 in cust. satisfaction. Surprisingly the Pilot wasn't No.2 it was the KIA 3rd row suv. This year CR ranks both the KIA 3rd row and Hyundai above HL. The Mazda 3rd row is pretty good too. My recommendation is KIA, Toyota, or Mazda 3rd row SUVs.
Oh, I almost forgot. Although some of the Ford, GM, Chrysler products do well in other categories; according to CR, they don't seem to ever score highly in the reliability column. Seriously?; for what dealers charge these days And considering how long All the car companies have had to make their cars exceedingly reliable and easier to maintain; I just can't do business with any company who wants to take such a ridiculous amount of money, for something that is going to be disappointingly unreliable. My thoughts might be different if I was more of a lease guy, or if I knew I was going to buy an brand new car every 1 - 2 years. But that's not me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The reason you are still driving 2003 HL is because it is made in Japan. I am driving 2008 with 120K on it. Still drives like new.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts