Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to replace some of the ATF that came out of my camry this weekend when changing the cv joints and I checked the haynes manual about what kind to use. Right in the 1st chapter, it says to use dexron II which is obsolete now, but dexron/mercon 3 replaces it, so no problem. So I go to add the fluid and put in probably 2 quarts or so and then put the dipstick in. I pull the dipstick out to check it and notice the dipstick has writing on the end of it. It was so dirty, I didnt see it previously, plus its 10:00 here and pitch black outside and I am working by the light of the garage. I read it and it says to use toyota type T fluid only.

WTF.

My alltrac takes TYPE T fluid, yet the damn haynes manual says to use Dexron II.

Totally different fluids that are not compatible. Couple this with the fact my tranny drain plug is rounded out and is seized in the pan..

I'm just going to let it sit in the pan without driving it and hope for the best. I am not going to drain it tonight..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ahh heck, I just drained it instead. Bad thing is, I was running the engine while adding it, so there will be some still stuck in the torque converter.. I'm going to have to do a full flush of it friday afternoon.

oh well.

·
Boondock Saint
280 Posts
Sorry to hear about that bro. Haynes manuals kinda suck. Mine isn't clear at all about lots of things. And they even mislabeled the trans and oil dipsticks. this could spell trouble for the casual dyi-er. I think craftsman sells some sockets that are good for getting off rounded off nuts you should check em out. Good luck.

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
um, as far as I know, type T fluid is just the Toyota fluid 'standard' so to speak, not the actual standard. Similarly, you should be able to easily use dexron 3 fluid without any sort of problem. 'type t' was probably the equivlenet to dexron 3 at the time, which is why it's stated as such.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CrawlingEye said:
um, as far as I know, type T fluid is just the Toyota fluid 'standard' so to speak, not the actual standard. Similarly, you should be able to easily use dexron 3 fluid without any sort of problem. 'type t' was probably the equivlenet to dexron 3 at the time, which is why it's stated as such.
I'll ask toyota. I did some searching on the INTARWEB last night and found that awd toyota vehicles definitely take Type T whereas the other fwd toyota camrys were spec'd for dexron II.

Shrug.

·
Grenaded piston
6,588 Posts
slag said:
I did some searching on the INTARWEB last night and found that awd toyota vehicles definitely take Type T whereas the other fwd toyota camrys were spec'd for dexron II.
Chiltons manual says:

All 2WD models use dexron II (or its superceding type) atf fluid whereas all 4WD models use type t atf.

This applies to auto trannies.

·
Registered
750 Posts
How did the dipstick get so dirty? If it wasn't from your grubby little fingers, you should get if flushed anyways.

Did you change the filter at the same time? If not, you should and check the magnets for excess debris.

·
Torque Applicator
1998 Camry LE
36 Posts
I've got a Haynes manual... it's terrible. It did not correctly describe removing the back shelf, had the wrong clip locations, missing information, etc... Same thing with removing the aft box in the center console, but you don't really need a manual for that. I think it tries to cover too many vehicle variations in one book. Although the models may share the same (or most of the same) core components, there are many differences and the Haynes manual does not cover them.

I did find it useful to decypher the speaker wiring colors when I swapped out the factory stereo and speakers... for once it was accurate. (I guess it's pretty useful for dropping on bugs too, but I can't speak from experience.)

JP

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
karazy said:
How did the dipstick get so dirty? If it wasn't from your grubby little fingers, you should get if flushed anyways.

Did you change the filter at the same time? If not, you should and check the magnets for excess debris.
The end of the dipstick, the part in the engine compartment, had the writing on it. The previous owner had a leak at the oil pressure sender unit and never bothered to fix it. I did.

There is no filter, just a metal screen

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bluesabre said:
I've got a Haynes manual... it's terrible. It did not correctly describe removing the back shelf, had the wrong clip locations, missing information, etc... Same thing with removing the aft box in the center console, but you don't really need a manual for that. I think it tries to cover too many vehicle variations in one book. Although the models may share the same (or most of the same) core components, there are many differences and the Haynes manual does not cover them.

I did find it useful to decypher the speaker wiring colors when I swapped out the factory stereo and speakers... for once it was accurate. (I guess it's pretty useful for dropping on bugs too, but I can't speak from experience.)

JP
yeah, the haynes manual describes removing the halfshafts, but they are nothing like what is in my 89 alltrac, even though there is a section devoted to the alltrac..

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
I like my '92-'96 Camry Haynes... It had EXACTLY correct in the wiring of my '93 ES 300's ECU. Which is an amazing feat, because the '93 Lexus ES 300 repair manual was wrong, the '93 Camry repair manual was wrong, and the Chilton's manual was wrong.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Other than the seized drain plug....YOU ARE DOING GREAT...RELAX....

My 2cent opinion is that Dexron III will do just fine in the short term, if not forever. The main reason that Toyota might be adamant about Type-T in the All-Trac trans-axle is that the gears may have more complex gear-angle cut to accomodate the third output shaft to the rear of the car. A good cleaning with Dexron III is not a bad idea if the old fluid is as dark as you say. A follow-up with Type-T will put you back where you want to be.

Also, you say you changed the tranny fluid. On MY Toyota, there are two units: the tranny, and a seperate transaxle that has its own drain and fill plug.

Federal law states that ATF fluids must be compatible. They do vary with vicosity and history:
Original Dexron had whale oil in it.
Dexron II eliminated whale oil.
Dexron III is better than II.
Ford Type-F is a thicker ATF to overcome durability problems that Ford/Lincoln/Mercury had back in the 1960's and early 1970's.
B&m Trick Shift is a thick ATF that is dyed blue (there ain't nothing like a rear wheel drive muscle car with second gear scratch for a daily driver).

I have used Mobil 1 synthetic Dexron III in my 2WD 1990 Camry for 40,000 miles, and have zero problems. I climb 3000 feet or so on my drive home. My tranny has gone from 115K to 155K. I drive miles and miles out of overdrive.

If you need to go to tranny shop to get the rounded plug removed, so be it. Go to a professional when needed. Get a new factory plug, and use a new factory plug gasket everytime. --AND-- always remove the fill plug before the drain plug because if you drain the fluid before you can re-fill it...you have a problem. :mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts