Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
straight cash homie
23,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sky Wheel Vehicle Tire Cloud

I recently saw on another forum about this topic...when Toyota entered NASCAR 15 years ago with the Camry, a lot of us asked why? Was it to sell even more of them even though they were already the #1 selling car at the time? The rationale was that Toyota wanted to be "More American"...of course, they got hate from some fans because NASCAR was pretty much closed off to any foreign manufacturer. But Toyota has been in NASCAR longer with the Tundras in the Truck Series and even a Celica in one of the smaller series. And to show those who hate foreign cars that the they are indeed "domestic" since they assemble vehicles in the US and invested in our economy.

Do people even care about NASCAR outside flyover states? Or was it a ploy to convince those living in rural states (Big metro cities don't likely care) that were Monte Carlo or Malibu drivers to switch over because their favorite driver Kyle, Denny or Bubba races one on Sunday...did it convince many owners to get one because "Race on Sunday, sell on Monday?" Or perhaps it was just a ploy to convince the truck-buying rural and exerb areas where lots of trucks to look at a Tundra or Tacoma (BTW #1 selling small truck).

·
Registered
385 Posts
The only thing 'Camry' on the Nascar version is the stickers.
I would def take one of those though a 725hp V8 RWD Camry would be fun.

But no nascar is boring.

·
Registered
2013 Camry XLE
2,850 Posts
I’ve been a car hobbyist, for over 50 years, been repairing cars for over 40, 20 of those professionally, and still don’t care about NASCAR. Go real fast, turn left. Go real fast, turn left. Repeat for hours on end. Even worse on short tracks. Keep turning left. Keep turning left. Well you get the picture.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 XLE ICE engine
337 Posts
Believe it or not there are still a lot of stupid boobs who think the NASCAR Camry and the other cars are real "stock" cars. They don't realize they are tube frame, carbon fiber body, spec engines. Also NASCAR has become part of the red state/blue state culture wars and there are a lot of MAGA folks who watch NASCAR on TV that would not watch what they think of as "elitist" F1, WRC, or Le Mans type racing. There are too many "furriners" and brown skinned people there and they only want to see "good ole boys" behind the wheel.

·
straight cash homie
23,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the consensus is pretty much what we figured, BUT it seems that Toyota was happy with their ROI with their dive into the sport

Toyota’s principal aim in NASCAR has been to convince the sport’s largely conservative fans that it invests heavily in America by building cars here. Laukes said the company has been successful with that push, with the key purchase consideration metric increasing markedly during his tenure. Toyota said that as of July 2020, 63% of NASCAR consumers surveyed said they would consider buying a Toyota, up from 50% five years earlier.

“When you look back at when we started in NASCAR in 2007, our purchase consideration in motorsports was dismal,” said Laukes, “… and now when you pull into a NASCAR track, there’s just as many Toyotas as there are Fords and Chevys.”

·
Registered
2022 XSE Camry
154 Posts
I watch more of SUPER GT (Japan) but not NASCAR, but to each their own.

Even though they use AMG, other competitors in the tournament have Toyota/Lexus in it, plus years back Hatsune Miku did sponsor Toyota products in commercials and yes they have won Championships.

In SUPER GT, they have anime characters on their cars and yes some of us place/ante up bets with real cash at real time when a race begins. Its a small club but very rewarding if you win.

Any extra Bitcoin profits I make, I donate what I can or if possible, sponsor Goodsmile Racing as a sponsored fan into continual SUPER GT tournaments. Although I have never donated or looked into NASCAR as much compared to SUPER GT. In my opinion, just more exciting than NASCAR.
With a Camry in NASCAR as to your post, I might look into NASCAR a second glance, but they already have Lexus in GT though.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Believe it or not there are still a lot of stupid boobs who think the NASCAR Camry and the other cars are real "stock" cars. They don't realize they are tube frame, carbon fiber body, spec engines. Also NASCAR has become part of the red state/blue state culture wars and there are a lot of MAGA folks who watch NASCAR on TV that would not watch what they think of as "elitist" F1, WRC, or Le Mans type racing. There are too many "furriners" and brown skinned people there and they only want to see "good ole boys" behind the wheel.
a bunch of common plate b.s. they started along time ago, ruined nascar.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As a former owner of three Camrys, their entry into NASCAR had zero impact on our decisions.

Funny story: When they joined NASCAR -- and I think Dodge was still racing at the time -- the Camry was the only car built in the USA.

·
Registered
2022 Camry XLE Hybrid
24 Posts
Living near Daytona for the last 35 of my 68 years, nascar has zero affect on my decision to purchase any of my 4 Camry's, nor any other vehicle I bought. I buy what I believe is the best bang for my bucks. I tend to trade-in every 4-5 years. Only time I watch nascar is when I can catch the last 20 laps or so of the Daytona 500.

·
Registered
266 Posts
By the time I was old enough and well-off enough financially to buy a car, the "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" adage was quite faded. NASCAR hasn't raced a stock vehicle that the average American could buy since the mid-60s. So, no, NASCAR has never influenced my car purchasing decisions.

In fact, when we bought our first new car (a 92 Camry DLX manual), Toyota wasn't competing in NASCAR at all. By the time they started competing, it had already been almost 3 decades since an actual "stock" car had raced in the series.

·
Registered
2016 highlander XLE, 2012 highlander se, 2009 camry se
116 Posts
Every time NASCAR has made an attempt at inclusion, something backfires. This continues to damage the brand. I remember when toyota entered NASCAR. Let's just say it wasn't with open arms. Toyota's participation in the sport had no impact on my decision making as far as my needs.

·
Official TN Member from Ontario, Canada
215 Posts
So because some people do not know that the NASCAR Camry and the other cars are not real "stock" cars, that makes them "stupid boobs"? OK then...

Personally, I watch F1 and Indy, and occasionally look at NASCAR. The cars do look like bugs going around in circles...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts