Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so slip diff is better for handeling, and rear lock is better for offroad. what if I had a slip with 4x4, wouldnt that be best of both worlds? Am I missing something?

·
Mountaineer
499 Posts
damiasebaticus said:
Ok, so slip diff is better for handeling, and rear lock is better for offroad. what if I had a slip with 4x4, wouldnt that be best of both worlds? Am I missing something?
limited slip with 4x4 would be decent for limited off-road. But if you want to be serious about off-road you need a locker.

·
short beds are ghey
495 Posts
Chipper57 said:
limited slip with 4x4 would be decent for limited off-road. But if you want to be serious about off-road you need a locker.
If you want to be serious about off-road you need a chopped-up trail rig.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey, thanks for input, I want 4x4 if I have to get out of a situation, or go on snow boarding and camping trips. I dont offroad at all. What would my best option be for all practicle purposses? Er... maybe chip answered my question?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Curious Brandon, why are short beds gehy? Or do I need to ask?, lol, jk, but seriously I like the look, manuverability,and the fact that if you put an extender on.... well, that might be like an implant but..., functional.,lol???

·
My Other Truck
4,258 Posts
damiasebaticus said:
Hey, thanks for input, I want 4x4 if I have to get out of a situation, or go on snow boarding and camping trips. I dont offroad at all. What would my best option be for all practicle purposses?
Been discussed at length, and seriously, either would be fine. Choose your truck based on the other equipment it comes with, and consider price if it matters to you. If you prefer a hood scoop, buy a Sport. If you want fewer features and a lower price, get an SR5 (with optional lsd). Or get an Off Road if you like the features it comes with. And there are cosmetic differences (wheels, chrome/black/color for grilles, mirrors, bumpers...). Don't worry about which diff it comes with -- it will do what you need (& want) it to.

·
short beds are ghey
495 Posts
damiasebaticus said:
Curious Brandon, why are short beds gehy? Or do I need to ask?, lol, jk, but seriously I like the look, manuverability,and the fact that if you put an extender on.... well, that might be like an implant but..., functional.,lol???

There was a thread a while back about bed lengths, during which I poked fun at short beds (just for something to do, I honestly don't give a crap one way or the other.) I should change it, I just haven't bothered to yet.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t111780.html

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,025 Posts
Doesn't sound like you need a locker... the LSD will handle most off-road situations that 98% of drivers will encounter.

As someone who drives in snow alot, I perfer the LSD. Its always 'on', no matter 2wd or 4wd. So it provides maximum traction all the time. But it requires more driver attention in 2wd with junk tires... The backend can come around quicker than same truck w/ open diff.

With bed extender, I you've got a 6.5 ft bed, but you can still fit boards and skiis crossways in the 5ft bed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts