Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the 3 thousand mile trip is over, and as promised, here is my report.

1) handling 2) power 3) looks 4) electronics

Dislikes
1) Six speed auto trans 2) Navigation

I don't like the software program on the Nav system, its too complicated for what it's used for, and after 3K miles I still haven't figured it out completely. The touch screen is a hassle if your moving the curser to pinpoint the location. The six speed trans seems to stay in 4th once you have climbed a grade no mater how slight the incline unless the pressure drops so much that your completely off the pedal. When in cruise I would look down and notice my RPM's are indicating its in forth. I would have to disengage the cruise then reset it and all was normal, until the next hill, even when not in cruise it did the same thing. If I used the manual shift, I often forgot to shift it back to the proper gear.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The six speed trans seems to stay in 4th once you have climbed a grade no mater how slight the incline unless the pressure drops so much that your completely off the pedal. When in cruise I would look down and notice my RPM's are indicating its in forth. I would have to disengage the cruise then reset it and all was normal, until the next hill, even when not in cruise it did the same thing.
Yup, that's pretty normal behavior of the six-speed tranny. Only comment is that it actually stays in 5th, not 4th gear. When it downshifts from 6th, the rpm will jump up because it goes to 5th AND the torque converter unlocks. Than after few seconds the torque converter locks up (the ECO light goes on), but from there on the tranny "forgets" that a 6th gear is there and available. "Bumping" the gas pedal or disconnecting cruise control "reminds" the tranny about the "missing" gear. It's a design "feature" of the Toyota tranny. Overall, compared to competition, the six-speed software is pretty "dumb" and makes all kinds of weird things when it comes to shifting. The tranny may be mechanically sounds (only time will tell), but when it comes to electronics, Toyota is 10 years behind competition.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts