Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm having problems putting my assist handle back in. (aka "oh sh*t" handle"; or the thing thats above every door to hold your hand on)
I don't understand how it put it back in, since apparently companies no longer use bolt/screws to hold anything in.
I've tried messing around with it, but don't understand what purpose the metal clip is, or how it would attach to the handle.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never mind, I fixed it.
The metal clip goes into the handle part way.
The extruding part of the handle (part that looks like its got a finger, more or less) is removable, and that's where the part of the metal clip you can see fits into. (You pull the "extruding part" off, put the metal clip in, and reinstall the "extruding part")

And, not to be a jerk or anything, but the reason for car forums is to provide useful solutions to those looking. Any idiot can figure out to "take it to the dealer," and the whole reason I *did* post was so that I didn't have to take it to a dealer.

·
uh..no, it's not a hybrid
3,486 Posts
Assuming it didn't fall out or anything, did it take much force to have it come out? The reason why I am asking is I was looking at mine the other day, and it didn't seem attached to the frame and not as solid as like a seatbelt for example. Looked like I could just ripp it off if I tried....Just wondering.

Thanks for the how to on the re-attaching...might come in handy sometime...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine came out because of me playing around with it.
If you pull down on the handle (to use it), you will see the plastic piece you can push - or pry - up on to release it (so that it will release the metal clip, and leave the assist handle dangling like the picture).

I thought the piece was just a cover, like, take it off and you will see a bolt/screw. Not so.
From when I bought the car, I never thought those would be very strong, and seeing how their held in proves it.
Oh well.

·
Registered
225 Posts
And said:
Dude,

I was just trying to give you the best advice, if you were not able to put it back at the time. It is better to take it back intact rather than all busted up from your attempts to fix it yourself. If you were to take back damaged, Toyota might tell you that it is not warranted against stupidity.:lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts