Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by an Aamaco transmission shop and inquired about a Auto tranny flush for my 2004 Auto TRD and brought up the fact that it uses Toyota T-IV required fluid and would like to supply my own fluid the T-IV or Amsoil Universal ATF(supposely T-IV compatable). He took me into his shop and showed me an oil drum full of Amsoil ATF Universal and could do the flush for $200 with it,with a T Tech machine. What does anyone think about doing it at this Tranny shop with Amsoil or going to the dealers to do it with real T-IV,what do stealerships charge for the flush there? Funny thing the guy at the shop also said that Toyota trannies are weak,I told him thats new to me I thought the trannies on trucks are tough,I have the A340F. I have 54,000miles with 2 pan drains at 25,000 on the truck I did both,how does the T Tech machine work, is this a good idea any input appreciated.:confused:

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
I think that 01+ specifically require T-IV ranny fluid. I've got the Amsoil in my rig with no problems so far (knock on wood). I would stay with T-IV just to be safe.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
humanoid said:
I think that 01+ specifically require T-IV ranny fluid. I've got the Amsoil in my rig with no problems so far (knock on wood). I would stay with T-IV just to be safe.
Thanx for the reply I think I'll take your advice and stick with T-IV,$200 for a ATF flush with Amsoil sounds like a good deal,but if problems arise with it than its better for the Stealership to do it for a little more $$$ and give it what it needs T-IV.

·
Glockaholic...
180 Posts
I had my 04' Corolla flushed for $124 at Modesto Toyota.
They charged me for 8 qts. of T-IV

·
Registered
114 Posts
humanoid said:
I think its 03+, I had Amsoil in my 01 Tacoma and it worked great. On my 03 I am sticking with the T-IV until I see people running it for 100K and it working well. So far I have only seen people with 10K saying it works. Just my 2 cents. I like the drain and fill better than the flush. Anyone have any idea at what intervals the filter needs to be replaced? I like to do mine every 50K drop the pan and put a new filter and gasket on but maybe thats overkill. Pan always looks clean with just a tiny bit of stuff on magnets.

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
I don't think the filter needs to be replaced, it just need to be cleaned out form what I understand.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ya I did that on my 01.......the reason was though cuz the dealer didn't have one in stock......I changed my wife's yesterday on her Lexus ES330 and went ahead and put a new one it just for my piece of mind. I put a new filter and gasket BUT forgot about the new crush washer.....and just like clockwork....drip drip tranny fluid. Now I get to do another drain and fill tonight to put the new crush washer on. I don't replace the oil plug crush washer very often but for the tranny you really need to do it every time.

humanoid said:
I don't think the filter needs to be replaced, it just need to be cleaned out form what I understand.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
todds21 said:
Ya I did that on my 01.......the reason was though cuz the dealer didn't have one in stock......I changed my wife's yesterday on her Lexus ES330 and went ahead and put a new one it just for my piece of mind. I put a new filter and gasket BUT forgot about the new crush washer.....and just like clockwork....drip drip tranny fluid. Now I get to do another drain and fill tonight to put the new crush washer on. I don't replace the oil plug crush washer very often but for the tranny you really need to do it every time.
Sometimes you can get away with using the old crush washer,that sucks you got the drip drips and have to drain again,be careful as hell with putting back the drain plug torque spec is 15 ft/lb.? I torque my trucks at 10ft/lb. no probs.they are known for stripping out easy. I talked to the Stealership about a T-IV flush its $149.79 tax included. They said by doing pan drains at 25-30,000miles your already on with the tranny maintainence if your not hauling big loads or in the severe duty area. Im going to start calling Aamaco Transmission shop the Stealers their $50 above Toyotas price.

·
Glockaholic...
180 Posts
Modesto is in the Fresno Valley.
Just wanted to put a plug in for a decent Service Dept :D

·
Registered
2002 toyota Tacoma
906 Posts
If I remeber right the filter is a metal screen and does not need replaced. were we informed wrong or is it a regular cloth filter like all the other tranny filters?????

Thanks
Lance

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wikkie2204 said:
I know we have a Bogota NJ, but I don't think Modesto. The only modesto I'm familiar with is a very WEST coast city.
I know that I was just pulling kn38ms's chain:lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts