Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Am I doing something wrong reading the level of my ATF? I drove it until it was good and warm and put it in each gear. Lastly, I put it in park and while the engine was still running, checked the level on the dip stick - multiple times. It freaked me out that it was way past the upper hot mark, almost to where it's stamped Type T-IV. I even turned off the engine and waited until it was cold to see if it was near the cold marks but the tranny fluid was still at that same high level.

I bought my truck when it had 104k miles and have owned it 5 years. It always ran great. Twice in that time, the check engine light came on with a code indicating a problem with a solenoid in the transmission but soon after the code cleared by itself. In that 5 years, I never thought to check the level. I only watched to see how dirty the fluid was getting.

Today, I figured that when I did the exchange, I would put back in 1 and a half quarts less and then check the dip stick. When I did (the engine and tranny were cold), the level was slightly pass the high hot mark.

What should I do??? Thank you, I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, I see the error of my ways. I read that the cold marks were made so that the factory could add fluid cold so I assumed that the car would be cold and the engine turned off but after checking it with the engine running after putting it in each gear, it gives me a more reasonable reading. The fluid is now at the right level and I now believe that whoever touched the tranny last added 1/2 quart too much. What effect would having too much fluid have on the tranny? Would I expect the tranny's life to be shortened?

Thank you guys.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts