Toyota Nation Forum banner

ATF Type

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  SVTfocusO3 
#1 ·
About to change my ATF again. Used Valvoline Maxlife last time, it's been 30k+ miles with no issues. Considering going back to Toyota WS, or just using Valvoline again. Curious what everyone else uses, and what results they've had.

#3 ·
I hear ya man, but I'm planning to do the radiator line method which actually will get the majority of it out. Done it before on another vehicle and can attest to the fact that it is very effective; possibly the best way to go about it. I'm just trying to find the best fluid to use as, after this flush, I will probably extend the interval for doing these out quite a bit. It's Kind of a pain, and I'm a busy guy.

#7 ·
Has nothing to do with cost of savings... its available and local, and I can use it in my other vehicles in the driveway

Here's another at the local autopart and hardware stores:

#9 ·
I didnt know Pennzoil is now making a generic transmission fluid, or a transmission fluid at all.

But that’s a very broad range of vehicles it says it handles, ranging from Toyota, to GM, Honda, and many others. Not sure how I’d feel about that. And it says, medium viscosity. I’ve always read that the WS is a very viscosity fluid? I could be wrong about that, but I’m pretty sure that’s the case. What does that mean? I’m not sure about that either, but I imagine shift quality/feel, could change.

In the last I have experienced shift quality issues on previous vehicles (mostly Honda) when using a different fluid than OE. But, Toyota’s are probably more forgiving - as I know so many use the Maxlife with good results.

#8 ·
I only use the Toyota WS fluid. Never any issues with it, it’s readily available and reasonably priced. The first transmission fluid service on a Toyota usually comes out dark, and the proceeding ones don’t. Don’t know why that is but I’ve seen that in all sorts of mileage...50,000...60,000...70,000. First drain is frightening dark, the next ones aren’t. Do they use a different dye at the factory? But despite the initial first drain color, I’ve never experienced shift quality or transmission issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.