Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a 4cyl over a six for the overall savings in gas costs--a fill up every day driving throughout south Texas is not uncommon for me--I have a few questions for 2.7 access cab prerunner owners---will your cruise control in 5th gear get you over interstate overpasses holding 75-80 mph with out bogging down since you can't downshift in cruise like it will with an automatic---or will it even make it up overpasses or medium hills in 5th with out downshifting when not in cruise? When driving 70-75 in fifth is it easy to downshift to third and get enough passing power to get around traffic rather quickly on a two lane hwy? How does the gearbox behave in bumper to bumper traffic? What is the redline on the tach and does it have a rev limiter and if so at what rpm---top speed??? after reading the mpg threads on here it seems the 6cyl gets 17-18 driving hwy speeds--are you really getting 22-23mpg at 75mph with the 2.7?--sorry about so many questions--I probably have more--buying a new truck for me is about like getting a wife cause I spend half my life in my vehicle and if I make a mistake in my choice---well you know the rest of the story.......

·
Registered
153 Posts
texasjim said:
I am considering a 4cyl over a six for the overall savings in gas costs--a fill up every day driving throughout south Texas is not uncommon for me--I have a few questions for 2.7 access cab prerunner owners---will your cruise control in 5th gear get you over interstate overpasses holding 75-80 mph with out bogging down since you can't downshift in cruise like it will with an automatic---or will it even make it up overpasses or medium hills in 5th with out downshifting when not in cruise? When driving 70-75 in fifth is it easy to downshift to third and get enough passing power to get around traffic rather quickly on a two lane hwy? How does the gearbox behave in bumper to bumper traffic? What is the redline on the tach and does it have a rev limiter and if so at what rpm---top speed??? after reading the mpg threads on here it seems the 6cyl gets 17-18 driving hwy speeds--are you really getting 22-23mpg at 75mph with the 2.7?--sorry about so many questions--I probably have more--buying a new truck for me is about like getting a wife cause I spend half my life in my vehicle and if I make a mistake in my choice---well you know the rest of the story.......
1. will your cruise control in 5th gear get you over interstate overpasses holding 75-80 mph with out bogging down - no - engine not powerful enough

2. MPG - I have a 2.7L 5speed manual access preruunner and i get 23 in the summer on the highway. I think the same model with a 6 gets about 18-20 on the highway

3. Does Ok in traffic

·
Official Misfit
1,453 Posts
i've got no problem with cruise control going over over pass's without bogging.

redline is up there a ways, you will rarely ever see it, but maybe thats just me. i ussally am well into the next gear long before 4K, but it should be able to spin up to 6K without too much of an issue.

i've not passed anyone yet, but if you do, i'd drop into 4th to pass.

the interstate merge is the only thing that i've have to adjust for, and then the change was to hold each gear a bit longer. Its not the fastest thing out there, but it can get teh job done without too many problems.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Anyone have a 0-60 mph time or a top speed measured? Rough estimate?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts