Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
06 TRD Sport 4x4
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting together my system and would like to run one 10" Alpine Type R sub (mounting depth = 6.8"). I am having a box built but wasn't sure if this sub would be able to fit behind the back seats of my DC or if it's too deep even with a custom box!?!

Since I am running all Alpine speakers and amps I would like to go with an Alpine Sub.

Choices for subs are:
Type R (if it will fit) > http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SWR1022/Alpine-SWR-1022D.html?tp=111

Type E > http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SWE1043/Alpine-SWE-1043.html?tp=111

Type S > http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SWS1043/Alpine-SWS-1043D.html?tp=111

The sub and speakers (Type R 6.5" components and coaxials) will all be ran off the Alpine PDX-5 amp...Correct me if I am wrong but with this amp I can go with a 2 or 4 ohm sub and the power output will be the same either way (300watts)?

PDX-5 Specs > http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=PDX-5&lang=en&tab=F

But should I go with a 2 or 4 ohm sub? Is there a difference?

Any input, help or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks, Gavin

·
Registered
271 Posts
Good luck getting your sub to fit behind the seat even in a custom box. My sub is a 4.25" mounting depth and I barely got it to fit without notching the back of the box for the rear cab wall crossmember the reason I didn't make the front of the box one angle was beacuse i couldn't get the depth I needed without a notch in the back
the taco-tunes boxes are notched for the rear wall cross-member and I think those boxes only fit a 5.5" mounting depth if I'm correct. Here is mine.

and here is the taco-tunes box for a single woofer.

·
Registered
06 TRD Sport 4x4
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck getting your sub to fit behind the seat even in a custom box. My sub is a 4.25" mounting depth and I barely got it to fit without notching the back of the box for the rear cab wall crossmember the reason I didn't make the front of the box one angle was beacuse i couldn't get the depth I needed without a notch in the back
the taco-tunes boxes are notched for the rear wall cross-member and I think those boxes only fit a 5.5" mounting depth if I'm correct. Here is mine.
and here is the taco-tunes box for a single woofer.
My box will have the notch on the back...I have seen the TacoTunes box and the max depth is 5.5" and the mounting depth of that ID sub is 5.5".

The Type R mount depth is 6.8". This is only 1.6" deeper than the ID Sub. So I guess my question is will a box with a depth of 7" fit behind the seats or is 5.5" the max?

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
Nothing wrong with Alpine at all. They're a quality product, at least type R stuff is. I'm addicted to JL myself. Your PDX amp sounds alot like my old JL 500/1, doesn't matter what the impedance is, it would match the power. If thats the case, get a 4 ohm subwoofer. No theres no difference AT ALL outside of the impedance. They only make the 2ohm versions so those people who buy 1 ohm stable amps can run their shit for power. 4ohm for you will allow you ease if you should choose or find a place for another sub, it will wire up alot easier.

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
Supercrewsound.com offers a box with a 6" mounting depth, but I still don't think it would cut it, unless the sub has a magnet cover you can remove to cut down the depth by .8"

If I were you I would look into Image Dynamics from Rob at tacotunes.com, or Infinity Kappa series subs which run about in your price range IIRC...I had Kappa series in my car and it sounded great!

·
Registered
06 TRD Sport 4x4
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nothing wrong with Alpine at all. They're a quality product, at least type R stuff is. I'm addicted to JL myself. Your PDX amp sounds alot like my old JL 500/1, doesn't matter what the impedance is, it would match the power. If thats the case, get a 4 ohm subwoofer. No theres no difference AT ALL outside of the impedance. They only make the 2ohm versions so those people who buy 1 ohm stable amps can run their shit for power. 4ohm for you will allow you ease if you should choose or find a place for another sub, it will wire up alot easier.
Thanks! So either 2 or 4 ohm will work but you recommend a 4ohm sub?

Supercrewsound.com offers a box with a 6" mounting depth, but I still don't think it would cut it, unless the sub has a magnet cover you can remove to cut down the depth by .8"

If I were you I would look into Image Dynamics from Rob at tacotunes.com, or Infinity Kappa series subs which run about in your price range IIRC...I had Kappa series in my car and it sounded great!
I have been looking at this set up and the only drawback was that I want to also mount my amp to the box and use only 60% of the backseat. So I think I am going to just build my own amp mounting board, have it covered with line-x and attach it to the Tacotunes box.

Other subs I have been looking at are the Polk Momo 10" shallow sub and the Kenwood 10" shallow sub. I know a lot of people don't like Kenwood subs but a couple local shops I have checked like the Kenwood shallow over the Kicker, Rockford Fosgate, Memphis and Pioneer.

·
Registered
07 PRE RUNNER DOUBLE
32 Posts
RE audio SL 10mounting depth 3" I paried it with a Pioneer d class sub amp and I leave it turned down it's way lounder cleaner and hits deeper than I thought it would or wanted. it's in a .5 cube box. taco tunes box would work.

·
lover of teh boobies
'05 Tacoma AccessCab
2,547 Posts
Ohm load doesn't matter. You could get a 1 ohm sub and wire a second one up to the amp just as easy as a 4 ohm model.
Parallel and Series wiring buddy.

·
Registered
'07 Tacoma DC,4X4
166 Posts
i have (had) a alpine type R and tried to put in the space and no good. so i got a taco tunes box and a jl audio W1v2 sub powered by a 300 watt alpine amp. and it even sounds better then the type R. it has not distorted even once. the sub cost 129. and the box wasn't much more then that.

·
NorCal Tacoma
05 Black Dbl Cab
378 Posts
I've had good experiences with JL audio

·
Registered
666 Posts
JL makes a great product, a little on the expensive side, but great quality. Honestly, I'd look into the Memphis shallow sub, they sound great, and if purchased from an authorized retailer, 4 years no questions replacement warranty

·
Official Baller
'07 Tacoma PreRunner
2,960 Posts
I looked around for a box that would be able to hold the Type-R.... no luck. I settled for a Type-E and they are doin their job.

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
Ohm load doesn't matter. You could get a 1 ohm sub and wire a second one up to the amp just as easy as a 4 ohm model.
Parallel and Series wiring buddy.
Sure, call me out BUDDY. I'm an electrician, I know this probably better than you. The point is, a 4 ohm he will never have to worry which way he wires it, since he will not drop to 1 ohm. With two 2 ohm speakers wired up incorrectly, he could be left scratching his head on why his system wont work because the current draw exceeded the amplifiers limits. Do you want to give someone that advice? Set them up for a possible failure? No, you set them up for guaranteed success. Physically (and aurally) there is no difference between a 2 or 4 ohm subwoofer, so why not save him the trouble and buy a 4ohm. Case closed. BUDDY.

·
Registered
06 TRD Sport 4x4
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I looked around for a box that would be able to hold the Type-R.... no luck. I settled for a Type-E and they are doin their job.
I just checked our your Cardomain...How are you liking your Type R components and where did you get your adapters to mount them in the Tacoma? Also you say your box holds 2-12's but the sub box was for a 10? Are you running 2 12's or 10's?

Sure, call me out BUDDY. I'm an electrician, I know this probably better than you. The point is, a 4 ohm he will never have to worry which way he wires it, since he will not drop to 1 ohm. With two 2 ohm speakers wired up incorrectly, he could be left scratching his head on why his system wont work because the current draw exceeded the amplifiers limits. Do you want to give someone that advice? Set them up for a possible failure? No, you set them up for guaranteed success. Physically (and aurally) there is no difference between a 2 or 4 ohm subwoofer, so why not save him the trouble and buy a 4ohm. Case closed. BUDDY.
Thanks, this makes sense.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a pioneer 12" shallow mount - sounds good, had a local shop make the box, all they had to do was shave the seat alittle (shown in pic)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts