Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as you will notice, this is my first post here. I have in my posession a 1987 Celica GTS Vert, auto, loaded, fresh red paint, fresh top, reclothed seats etc. For all intents and purposes the car is fully restored, but the motor is shot. It isnt locked up but its making some god-aweful noises, pretty sure its a spun bearing or two (ran it out of oil :hammer: ). I have decided to go ahead and fix this thing as a daily driver so i can start putting the heat to my Z-28 (see sig...looking for 500 rwhp on the spray by the end of summer). Thats just not daily driver material ya know!? So any info you guys can give me on what exactly i have here would be greatly appreciated. Would it be easier to swap the motors for a used one (ive found them on line for around 400-500 bucks) or should i rebuild the one i have? And if i should buy one, where's a reputable place? If i should rebuild the one i have, where do i come by the internals and such? I work at a high performance auto shop, so i have lift access and all the tools necessary either way (including access to a machine shop). Lots of questions i know, but any help you guys can give me here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tom

·
Registered
443 Posts
if your swaping it.. or rebiulding it.. you might as well pull the old one and rip it apart...

toyota s mottors are realy strong 4 cil's (not your avrage honda)

so you might pull it apart and find that the the baring is shot and thats it.. if thats the case you can get good barings for cheep and throw them in..

i say rebiuld the one you have, but thats just bc im like that... if you do scrap the old mottor.. you should atleast see if the GE head is still good.. those go for some prity good cash on E-Bay. or just give it to me ;) wait... ignore that whole thing about geting good cash on ebay for it.....

at any rate if you just want a plug and play mottor... go to jasper and have them remanufacture you one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Preciate the info Zrain. Im all about tearing into a motor too (something about driving around in a car that you put the motor together in) so i may go that route. And its the second motor in that car anyhow, so its fairly fresh (>50k for sure). The cars been "in the family" since new, so i know the whole history of it. I may just take your advice and tear into it and see what we have going on. If i do scrap the motor, i'll hit you with a PM and give you first crack at the head. :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.