Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case some of you don’t frequent this other forum, this thread might rev your motor a little. Scroll to the bottom.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
That's cool and all, but since I retired my 99 Camry from "racing" and switched over to a 96 Celica, I'm not looking back. Same engine (5SFE), same brakes (I had V6 brakes on the 4cyl), 500lbs less weight, slightly better aftermarket support. The brakes are now adequate for the car, as they were struggling on the Camry. Less wear on the tires with the lighter car, better handling.

Camry is a good starting car if that's what you got, I learned a lot from it. But, I would never take it as far as the guy in the photo did - too many obstacles to overcome and your effort is better spent elsewhere.

Just my 2c.

EDIT: Also, it looks like it's a show car more than a race car. He's got harness bar (no cage) and a racing seat for the driver, stock seat for the passenger. Flared fender, fat tires, and the rest is all stickers for show. Does look good though, not overdone like many Civics are.

·
Super Moderator
12,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wondered if it was just for show. I’d like to see the engine bay. A TRD supercharger would be expected, at least. But probably just a “CAI” and some TRD jewelry.

Just noticed the tasteful park bench wing on the back too. Serves a purpose on something really fast, but I doubt it’s more than a decoration.

·
Registered
Look in sig
8,665 Posts
What’s different with the C pillar again? It looks like a Gen3 alright. Cracked (but functional) outside passenger door handle.

Also, you know when a Camry is becoming a classic when it’s harder to recognize it off the bat LOL

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
390 Posts
It is funny that the people on that other forum are struggling to identify the car, as it is clearly a Gen 3 Camry to everyone of us over here on this forum who owns one, but I think Kingdom is right: they are old enough now that folks don't remember what they looked like.

However, a bunch of stickers and slapped on JCWhitney "louvers" decorating the outside, can trick the eye.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts