Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short I’m saving up for better subs so I’m reusing mtx 212dvs subs vented on an audio control lc1-800. On a stock unit with taco tunes speaker connectors into rca’s. So that amp was installed yesterday with new OFC 4 gauge wiring from knuconcepts. Before that amp. Set up I had a shitty boss amp that claimed 1200rms. The subs hit great on it. So I switched to the audio control yesterday and the subs hit harder n clearer for all of 20 minutes. Now my subs go in and out. N when they do hit it’s for 4 seconds. I reused the same ground (on the speaker shelf). Idk what is wrong. Could my ground be not great? I turned down the gain and retuned it. Same results. Neither fuse is blown on the amp. Could it be a bad ground making the subs go in and out?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
90 views and no comment lol. You guys are funny. We’ll just in case anyone gets into this problem. I called taco tune. Their wire harness for adding a sub does not work on 2021 camrys and newer. They are coming out with a new one this month apparently for us. But that solves just 1 of my problems. Doesn’t solve the sub cutting in and out. Tomorrow I’m going to make a new ground location, install a JL Audio LOC-22 and also test both subs with a meter to see what ohms they are putting out. Maybe the amp damaged them but they didn’t “blow.” Idk what else to do tbh. But I’ll keep this thread updated for anyone with a 2021 or newer Camry.

·
Registered
09 Corolla Base 17 Camry SE
2,796 Posts
What kind of fuse holder are you using by the battery? Years back I actually melted one from heat build up while cranking the tunes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m not sure the name of the fuse type but it came from the amp kit from Knukoncepts OFC 4 gauge. I’ll check the fuse when I go out to lunch. I never even thought of that fuse. I checked the amps fuses. They both were fine.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
What kind of fuse holder are you using by the battery? Years back I actually melted one from heat build up while cranking the tunes.
That should never happen with a proper install, no matter how hard you're running it.

Using wire that isn't thick enough for the amperage can cause components to overheat, including fuses, amps, or the wiring itself. A poor connection anywhere in the power/ground circuit can also. I usually check the ground connection to the body first.

·
Registered
07 Avalon Limited
32 Posts
are you sure it isnt going into protect?
maybe gto signal sense isnt reliable
also if you can show us your ground since the audiocontrol actually makes rated powed unlike the boss your boss probably made 400w the audiocontrol can go all the way to 900
its also possible the voice coil shorted
id reccomend to test with an rca hooked up to your phone or laptop to diagnose

·
Registered
09 Corolla Base 17 Camry SE
2,796 Posts
also if you can show us your ground since the audiocontrol actually makes rated powed unlike the boss your boss probably made 400w the audiocontrol can go all the way to 900
That should never happen with a proper install, no matter how hard you're running it.

Using wire that isn't thick enough for the amperage can cause components to overheat, including fuses, amps, or the wiring itself. A poor connection anywhere in the power/ground circuit can also. I usually check the ground connection to the body first.
Changed to a different type of fuse holder and never had any more issues.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow. So I tested everything and all was well. Amp good and subs are perfect. It ended up being the Tacotune harness. It was sending output from the fronts and not from the rears. I returned the jl-22 loc. Figured out a loc isn't needed for my amp.

That being said Tacotune refuses to give me my money back even though they false advertised a product and sold it to me then admitted in email that the add a sub harness outputs a front signals not rear on 2021+ Camrys. If their description said that on their website I would have NEVER bought it. I never cut wire or damaged anything on their harness. So I'm contacting my bank and getting my money back that way and sending this harness back whether they like it or not because it's literally a paperweight at this point. An undamaged paperweight too.

So I tuned my amp and subs with my SMD handheld and my lc1.800 is outputting all 870rms @ 2ohms. The amp powers on and powers off absolutely perfectly. No clipping. Nothing. Just ordered 2 DC Audio lvl2-m3,12's. Then at Black Friday I'm gonna get a d'amore amp or something equal to that and as respected. I will be doing the big 3 BEFORE installation and I'm looking into a AMG battery or maybe a 2 farad cap. I know the controversy around those but they do infact help. It's not snake oil. Usually each farade helps about 8-10% of the total load. So if your outputting 1500rms for short bursts on a brand new vehicle WITH the big 3. 2 farade is perfectly capable of keeping everything in check. Especially when all your bulbs in your car are LED and barely draw any power as it is. But after I put these new subs and amp in. I'm not going any bigger. On that side. If anything I'll change the door speakers to something a step up from factory. Nothing insane or crazy. Its not like I go driving around in Philly slappin my subs all night for the dopefiends on Kensington Ave. I listen to Tucker Carlson on the way to work and music omw home from work in the morning. That's my day to day routine. Sometimes I go to the gun range.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The amp has a led for that and it never went into protect mode. Actually it never even warned me for clipping or anything. It's thee best amp I have EVER had

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Exactly right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts